New teen mom here and I have no idea what to expect?

The doctor just called me yesterday telling me that the blood test came back positive for pregnancy. I'm 18, about to be 19 in July and he said I'm about 7 weeks (havent gotten my period since the end of January). Any tips or advice on making it through my pregnancy and the first few weeks of life with my new baby? I eventually want to get back to school (im a freshman in college) and finish out nursing school but I'm obviously gonna have to put that on hold!

lexafaith

Asked by lexafaith at 12:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2013 in Pregnancy

• You won't necessarily have to put your school on hold, if you have the right support. Depending on when you're due you may need to take a couple weeks off or even skip that semester but if you really put your mind to it you can finish school. It will be much, much harder but it will be even harder than that if you wait too long.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• There is no need to put it on hold now. You have 8 months till baby is here, why not attend school till baby is here? Its better to do it now then later.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Be sure to get good prenatal care. Do you have family and friends to lean on? Is the father going to participate?

Just know you can do this. Many, many women have done it, and it's not easy, but they've raised great kids.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Read lots of pregnancy/baby books. That helped me. Try to go to school as much as you possibly can. I always had an excuse and put it off and it was sooo hard to go back. You think it'll be easier to go back when your child is a little older, but it's not. It's actually harder, for me anyway, best to get it over with.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 1:28 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Get as much done as you can NOW.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:29 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• I was out of school a few years, when I started college with a 13 month old & 1 on the way. You can do this! If I can, anyone can! It will help if the baby's father is supportive. And if you have close family & friends who you can rely on. Having a diaper party & baby shower can help get you some of the things you will need & help ease the financial burden. You will need to trust your instincts when it comes to parenting. Babies don't come with a manual. (Wish they did! :p) Read "What to Expect When You're Expecting" or rent the movie. That will help you thru the pregnancy. There are other books out there to help w/ questions about taking care of your baby too. But like I said, your motherly instincts will kick in too & you should listen to those. GL! :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Take your prenatal vitamins, avoid emotional stress, eat well and hydrate (drink lots of water). Don't try to do too much. I didn't return back to college until after my kids were grown.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:17 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• I've written of a lot of articles you can find information about your first trimester and how your baby grows: http://ezinearticles.com/?Pregnancy:-First-Trimester---Here-Is-How-Your-Baby-Grows&id=7403579
    You can find many more at Ezine Articles;http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Liza_D_Janda

But the best advice is to get as much education as possible. Get as much support as you are able to, and your baby will be the blessing he/she is meant to be. Read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. Watch The Business of Being Born, and make sure you are getting optimal nutrition.
    Good luck
    Guruliza

Answer by Guruliza at 7:09 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• You don't have to put school on hold. You have a ways to go and could get a lot accomplished before baby comes! Make sure you have a good support system whether it be family, friends, bf..etc. I got pregnant at 18 with my oldest who is now 5 and I was scared. I was not in school though, but had a lot of people who were there for me and helped me get through the struggles. I think you will do just fine. Remember to also take time for you while you are pregnant and don't overdo it. Relax when you can, it's the best thing for you.
    Imsoinlove

Answer by Imsoinlove at 7:26 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Consult with your advisor about childcare for your baby right away. Some colleges have care provided on campus, but you may need to get your name in now to hold a spot. Pregnancy does not make you disabled so plan on continuing with your classes and working until you are due...I worked up until the day I went into labor. You might be uncomfortable, but no need to stop attending. The first few weeks are crazy with a new baby. You won't sleep much and if you are nursing, that will take time to get into a routine. After about a month, you will start to figure out your baby and get into a flow with him/her. You can jugle work, classes and baby but it won't be easy. Let dad know that you will expect financial support as you didn't create this baby yourself and you can use that money to easy the cost of care. Diapers, formula, doctors visits cost money and you shouldn't have to deal with it alone. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 6:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2013