Does this sound weird to you?

My son just started attending a special day class preschool from 8:10am-1:10pm Monday-Friday. He comes home everyday with a daily communication book with a completed activity sheet that describes the different activities he did, which aide he did them with, how well he did, etc. But the only activities that are listed are only from 8:30am - 9:30 or 10am. Never anything about what the did for the better part of the rest of the day. I'm not necessarily suggesting that they don't do anything for the rest of the day but what's the point of telling me what he did for an hour but not for the other 4? Also, there is a communication log in the book for communication between me and the teacher, but neither of us ever writes anything in there. Besides maybe asking this^^ question, what am I supposed to say? I look through the book and talk to him about school each day, but because I have nothing to write in this book I feel like I'm failing as a involved parent lol.

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 15, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Some teachers forget or don't have time. I know the kid I watch, half his sheet isn't filled out most days. They do try. I would ask about it though since it is a consistent thing. I wouldn't worry about writing anything unless you guys did something special you want the teacher to know about or if you have any questions.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Maybe they have the same scheduled activities for the rest of the day (circle time, centers, lunch, etc) so the early morning is the only thing that changes? My son is in a special education classroom and the only time I've written in the notebooks were as needed (if he didn't sleep well, new behaviors, etc)

Answer by missanc at 12:47 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• No it doesn't sound weird. The rest of the day is probably filled with outside/exercise time, snack time, maybe she'll read them a book. The space where you can ask a question is there only if you Have a question. I'd just ask her for a run down by the hour of what his day consists of from beginning to end. You don't have to write something every day unless you have a question or maybe your Son woke up in a bad mood or with a little tummy ache. Then you just write it there to give her a heads up just in case he complains a lot.  My Son's Preschool Teacher wanted to know if they went to bed late on a particular night so she was prepared if he was going to be over sleepy or a grouch that day!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• I didn't even think about scheduled activities, that would make a lot of sense lol. We did a brief observation of the class before he started but being so new at all of this it was hard to soak up everything the teacher told us.

maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• In your comment section you can suggest certain goals (counting to 10, saying the alphabet, learning colors) and follow up every week asking if he has met these goals. Ask questions about how he is socially. If there are any problems or if he is making friends. It's easier for the teacher to respond to topics then sit there trying to suggest what you would want to know. Good luck.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 1:24 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• You could ask if there is anything you she would like you to reinforce at home.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Yeah, sounds like they just might do regularly scheduled things after 9:30/10 like the others said. There probably is a daily schedule posted in the class (and you may have a copy of the schedule in the orientation material). In my son's class they do "work" that varies in the mornings until around 9:30 and then there is circle time, snack, and outside play for the rest of the morning.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:46 PM on Mar. 16, 2013