I have a 10 years old son that is ADHA and I have such a hard time with him listening, doing his home work in a quicker time. He back talks so bad and I am so stressed. How do I get hi, under control?

My husband is in prison for 8 more months and I had to move back in with my parents when he left a little over a year ago. I also have a 7 year old boy that for the most part easier but ehen he does get mad or frustrated he yells and slams doors and throws things but that isnt that often. The boys do fight a lot and I find my self yelling more and more and say things I regret. My husband and I are recovering addicts. We got in a fourwheeler and addicted to pills. We got really addicted and that was our go to thing to calm us down. I am clean now and so is he. I am getting help and have been "Sober" well on methadone and have I am detoxing now so I get exremelly frustraded with detoxing and stress. I feel like my husband and I have ruined our relationships with Shawn my 10 year old. I just want peaxe and a good relationship with my 10 yr. Old . My 7 yr old is already so attatched to me and always wants to me. please help me.

Wade2007

Asked by Wade2007 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Get his life normalized and he'll calm down. Look at what he's been through in the last few years. Do you blame him?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:35 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Hopefully you have him in some kind of counseling. Sounds like he needs it considering everything he's been thru. As for his ADHD, it's perfectly normal for him to do his homework in 15 minute intervals. My middle son has it & that's what he'd do. He couldn't focus for that long. That's what worked for him & he graduated 3rd in his class! Considering your son has a lot of other things distracting him, I would hope the counseling & breaking tasks down into smaller time chunks will help. GL to you all.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Your kid is pissed at you.
    You probably did and said all kinds of stuff when you were high that you don't remember but HE DOES.
    Get him to Al-anon or some other sort of support group.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:56 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Counseling, yes. Medication, perhaps. Keep your life as stable as possible, keep to a regular routine (best for ADHD individuals) and give lots and lots of love.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:16 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Take away anything distracting him tell him that if he doesn't do his hw than he won't get the thing distracting him back
    anahigonzalez

Answer by anahigonzalez at 12:18 AM on Mar. 17, 2013

Answer by anahigonzalez 6 hours ago

^^^^The problem is, his life in general is distracting. He's had a lot to deal with. Add to that, the ADHD & you have a kid who will only be able to handle small chunks of time to do his school work. Like I said, I've seen it w/ my own son. And he was successful doing it on his own terms.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:44 AM on Mar. 17, 2013

• Counseling, love, attention. You answered your own question. Look at what he has been dealing with. Get his life under control and stable and he will settle down.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2013