How to prepare my kids for the arriving of a new baby?

Hi i have 3 kids( age from 4 to 1 yrs old), and i am pregnant with 40 weeks... and i know i should had made this questions earlier but i never really thought about it until now... i want to avoid that they will start fighting for my attention or feel like i love them less...
My oldest daughter (4yra old) had already took the role of big sister but sometimes she do things for us to give her attention.. but my youngest is really really attached to me, she is always next to me and she never leaves me , even if i go to the bathroom|... anyway.. any tips to make them recieve this new baby better?

betinha

Asked by betinha at 3:51 PM on Mar. 15, 2013 in General Parenting

• When I adopted a friend's baby, I was very worried about my three year old. I let her be involved in just about everything. I let her suggest names and help me pick out nursery decor. The birthmother's mother bought her an "I'm a big sister" t-shirt and I let her pick out a special gift to give the baby at the hospital. She asked a lot of questions about the baby in Carol's tummy so I got out her ultrasound pictures to show her. (She had trouble with the whole "Carol's pregnant with mommy's baby" thing so she asked "Was I really in your belly or was I in someone else's belly too" several times).

My advice is to make the children feel involved so that they don't feel left out. Get them excited. Let them see ultrasound pictures and feel the baby kicking. Good luck and congratulations!
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 5:02 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• yeah lol, thats a good advice.. but how for my oldest it might be easier for her, but for my 2 yrs old son and my 1 years old baby girl, i just dont have any idea.. they kiss my belly and everything but i dont think they understand... and my son was jelous when i had my 1 yrs old daughter so i am worried about them feeling like mommy loves the new born more than them! and i love them all in the same way!

anyway thanks s much
    betinha

Comment by betinha (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Let the older one's help as much as possible and buy them each something special (Doesn't have to be expensive) When I had my 2nd daughter, my oldest was 3 and it was around Easter time so we got her Easter toys and we let her help (She could hold baby's bottle, get mama a diaper/wipes, etc.) And when we had nap time I would let her sleep in my bed with me, while baby was napping in crib. There was a lot more I did, but those are just some ideas!
    Imsoinlove

Answer by Imsoinlove at 7:21 PM on Mar. 15, 2013