S/o Is anyone who is willing to discuss religion in any context inviting others to try and convert them?

Are Christians incapable of discussing religion without attempting to convert?

(and if anyone wants to cry "Christian bashing" this is a direct response to the answers to my last question, by Christians stating that participating in conversation is inviting conversion)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:39 PM on Mar. 15, 2013 in Religious Debate

• In my comparative religion course in college, the Christians managed not to proselytize, even though the discussion was all religion, all the time.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• no. we discuss religion on here everyday...have the non-Christians gotten conversion emails from every Christian in this section? (im seriously asking cause i know a lot of you have gotten conversion-based hate mail).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Is anyone who is willing to discuss religion in any context inviting others to try and convert them? of course not. No ones religion should have to be a 'hard sell' lol.

Are Christians incapable of discussing religion without attempting to convert? I am Christian and I do not try to convert. I enjoy simply discussing similarities and differences to learn more about others faiths. I find it all fascinating... especially all the similarities. It amazes me how many things cross over in one way or another. Whether is be stories that are almost identical or based on the same concept or just virtues that are shared. I find that many many religions have a lot they could relate on if they tried.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• have the non-Christians gotten conversion emails from every Christian in this section?

Not recently. It used to happen all the time before points cleared out half the members from Answers.

I know that it is discussed here all the time without people trying to convert everyone - which is why I can't understand the answers to the other question.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• No, being willing to discuss is not an invitation to a conversion attempt, and yes, Christians are capable of discussing without such attempts - myself for example :P
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:59 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• I don't try and convert anyone. If someone wants to have a discussion with me I'm open to it. I also like learning about other peoples beliefs.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:59 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Though many do believe that it is their duty to convert others and will try to take advantage of any opportunity to do so, so discussion could be seen as such an opportunity, no matter how rude taking such liberties may be ;)
    bandgeek521

But see, yours is one of the answers from the other question that seems to suggest that any willingness to have a conversation is asking to be converted (or have it attempted). So while you personally don't do it, do you believe that this willingness to discuss other people's beliefs is inviting them to try and convert you?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:05 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• If you discuss a topic you are talking from your point of view and trying to get the other person to see your point of view. That is true of any topic no matter what it is. When you open yourself up to see another person's point of view, you open yourself up to a possible change of view. If that point of view changes radically enough, we call that conversion. It doesn't matter if it is religion or a different topic.

So if I am speaking to you on topic ( a religious point) I will naturally be talking from a Catholic's point of veiw. No way around it, that is what I am. I do not have to say the words Catholic, or God or anything for that veiw to be in the discussion. Joe, is an atheist. He is what he is and his view of his world and the life around his is with the underlying principale that there is no supreme being(s). The attitudes are reflecting in his words and the way he discusses it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• He is trying to persuade with his arguements that his veiw is the correct veiw. If he succeeds and in enough areas. He has converted you.

If you open up the topic of religion, you open yourself at least hearing other ideas. If you are having a topic on the discussion of some religious point, it would be rediculous to think that the other person should not engage because they might say something that encourages you to to hear a call (figuratively) from their church or point of view.

In that respect yes it is impossible IMO

That is not the same thing as beating someone over the head with a pamphlet.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:29 PM on Mar. 15, 2013