S/o Is anyone who is willing to discuss religion in any context inviting others to try and convert them?

Are Christians incapable of discussing religion without attempting to convert?

(and if anyone wants to cry "Christian bashing" this is a direct response to the answers to my last question, by Christians stating that participating in conversation is inviting conversion)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:39 PM on Mar. 15, 2013 in Religious Debate

• He is trying to persuade with his arguements that his veiw is the correct veiw.

That's a huge assumption.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• "He is trying to persuade with his arguements that his veiw is the correct veiw. If he succeeds and in enough areas. He has converted you."

But that's not always the point of discussion. Sometimes it's just sharing and awareness. A lot of us here, I think, just want to be a voice in the conversation. It's not about convincing anyone, it's just about being present and representing ourselves in the whole....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• But see, yours is one of the answers from the other question that seems to suggest that any willingness to have a conversation is asking to be converted (or have it attempted). So while you personally don't do it, do you believe that this willingness to discuss other people's beliefs is inviting them to try and convert you?

~~~

No, because a discussion takes two people.  If someone is trying to convert me I end the conversation. I have control over who I converse with.  I don't think a discussion should turn into an attempt to convert anyone.  If someone is interested in another faith, they should be the one to pursue it.  

I've known my DH for 22 years and I haven't converted him yet, but than again he hasn't converted me either.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• I am open to talking about my beliefs if asked and I am happy to listen and respect others beliefs, I've never sent a conversion email and never received one, first I have heard of it honestly, but I don't discuss religion much online.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• But that's not always the point of discussion. Sometimes it's just sharing and awareness. A lot of us here, I think, just want to be a voice in the conversation. It's not about convincing anyone, it's just about being present and representing ourselves in the whole....

Exactly.  I talk about autism a lot.  I talk a lot about having a daughter on the spectrum, the worries, the joys, the fears . . . it's about awareness, understanding, and reaching out to others.  It's not about trying to convert anyone to autism. There is a difference between discussing and preaching, sharing points of view and trying to convert.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:39 AM on Mar. 16, 2013

• You can not convert someone to autism, you canchange their attitude. Isn't that a kind of conversion?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• If a non religious person voices their beliefs that is all it is...but if a religious person does it they are trying to convert you?

It is true Christians are throwing out seeds of faith. That is what we do. "Non-believers" throw out "seeds of doubt", that is what they do. I can no more intentionally throw out doubt than a non-believer can intentionally throw out faith.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:14 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Oh, and that is all we can do is toss out the seeds, it is only God that can make it grow. God does the converting.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:18 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• .but if a religious person does it they are trying to convert you?

So you're saying you are not capable of discussing religion without trying to convert someone?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2013