S/o Is anyone who is willing to discuss religion in any context inviting others to try and convert them?

Are Christians incapable of discussing religion without attempting to convert?

(and if anyone wants to cry "Christian bashing" this is a direct response to the answers to my last question, by Christians stating that participating in conversation is inviting conversion)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:39 PM on Mar. 15, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Is anyone who is willing to discuss religion in any context inviting others to try and convert them? of course not. No ones religion should have to be a 'hard sell' lol.

Are Christians incapable of discussing religion without attempting to convert? I am Christian and I do not try to convert. I enjoy simply discussing similarities and differences to learn more about others faiths. I find it all fascinating... especially all the similarities. It amazes me how many things cross over in one way or another. Whether is be stories that are almost identical or based on the same concept or just virtues that are shared. I find that many many religions have a lot they could relate on if they tried.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• "He is trying to persuade with his arguements that his veiw is the correct veiw. If he succeeds and in enough areas. He has converted you."

But that's not always the point of discussion. Sometimes it's just sharing and awareness. A lot of us here, I think, just want to be a voice in the conversation. It's not about convincing anyone, it's just about being present and representing ourselves in the whole....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• In my comparative religion course in college, the Christians managed not to proselytize, even though the discussion was all religion, all the time.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• no. we discuss religion on here everyday...have the non-Christians gotten conversion emails from every Christian in this section? (im seriously asking cause i know a lot of you have gotten conversion-based hate mail).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• No, being willing to discuss is not an invitation to a conversion attempt, and yes, Christians are capable of discussing without such attempts - myself for example :P
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:59 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• But see, yours is one of the answers from the other question that seems to suggest that any willingness to have a conversation is asking to be converted (or have it attempted). So while you personally don't do it, do you believe that this willingness to discuss other people's beliefs is inviting them to try and convert you?

~~~

No, because a discussion takes two people.  If someone is trying to convert me I end the conversation. I have control over who I converse with.  I don't think a discussion should turn into an attempt to convert anyone.  If someone is interested in another faith, they should be the one to pursue it.  

I've known my DH for 22 years and I haven't converted him yet, but than again he hasn't converted me either.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• I don't try and convert anyone. If someone wants to have a discussion with me I'm open to it. I also like learning about other peoples beliefs.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:59 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• If you discuss a topic you are talking from your point of view and trying to get the other person to see your point of view. That is true of any topic no matter what it is. When you open yourself up to see another person's point of view, you open yourself up to a possible change of view. If that point of view changes radically enough, we call that conversion. It doesn't matter if it is religion or a different topic.

So if I am speaking to you on topic ( a religious point) I will naturally be talking from a Catholic's point of veiw. No way around it, that is what I am. I do not have to say the words Catholic, or God or anything for that veiw to be in the discussion. Joe, is an atheist. He is what he is and his view of his world and the life around his is with the underlying principale that there is no supreme being(s). The attitudes are reflecting in his words and the way he discusses it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• But that's not always the point of discussion. Sometimes it's just sharing and awareness. A lot of us here, I think, just want to be a voice in the conversation. It's not about convincing anyone, it's just about being present and representing ourselves in the whole....

Exactly.  I talk about autism a lot.  I talk a lot about having a daughter on the spectrum, the worries, the joys, the fears . . . it's about awareness, understanding, and reaching out to others.  It's not about trying to convert anyone to autism. There is a difference between discussing and preaching, sharing points of view and trying to convert.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:39 AM on Mar. 16, 2013

• Though many do believe that it is their duty to convert others and will try to take advantage of any opportunity to do so, so discussion could be seen as such an opportunity, no matter how rude taking such liberties may be ;)
    bandgeek521