Why do mothers insist on laying on the guilt trip?!

I'm a mother of 3 and 1 on the way. I have an 8yr old, almost 5yr old, 2 yr old and 7 mos pregnant. My SO owns his own trucking business so is on the road 1 1/2-2 weeks a month. We do lots with the kids while he is home.. Parks, bounce houses, fairs, etc. Well the kids have a 3 day weekend this weekend (off today), so my mother asks what we are doing. I said "well it depends on the weather (i live in florida). If it isn't warm I was thinking the park" Well of course to her its NEVER warm. Well again, i'm 7 mos pregnant, 70 is warm to me. lol... Its 83 and quite humid. I'm not sure i'm up to chasing 3 kids at the park in the hot sun. Well all of a sudden its "awe those poor kids.. they never get out".. and crap like that... I feel AWEFUL :( I do what I can.. I try to entertain them.. But honestly running around with 3 little ones is not easy at all.. Not alone anyway.....

Anyone else feel this way?

mommykim357

Asked by mommykim357 at 11:01 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yeah! Let them play in the yard! You don't have to go anywhere for kids to have fun! Make them a pitcher of koolaid and let them outside at home.
    coke2pep

Answer by coke2pep at 11:05 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I'm not preggo, I have a 1 and 2 y/o girls that I can barely chase around myself. We have the opposite problem we have too much winter. it's 26 degrees today and snow EVERYWERE and almost NO INDOOR play areas unless you include McDonalds. So we DON'T get out too often and the closest kids are 20 min. away
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 11:06 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• oh and i forgot... it's snowing... again...
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 11:09 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Do arts and crafts or bake cookies. They don't always have to get out. Here in the frozen north in is not at all uncommon to be couped up for a month or two at a time...and we live. I would just blow it off and do the best you can.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:17 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Tell your mother if she will chase them for you today, you will go and sit on a bench. But only for an hour. Or, Take it with a grain of salt and do whats best for you for a change!!!!
    pepperannrocks

Answer by pepperannrocks at 11:18 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My mother is the same way I have 4 little ones 6,3,1 and 4 weeks old and she lives about 1300 miles away so we talk mostley everyday and it always like So what did you do today or what are you going to do today and if I say we arent going to do anything she like Awwww my poor babies never have any fun you need to get them out more!! Well if she wants them to get out more then she can drive here and take them!! I dont have the money to go and do something everyday I always make sure we go and do something at least once a week, and its not the easiest thing in the world to pack up four kids just to go do something fun everyday!! anyway yes I feel ya my moms the same damn way!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 11:20 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• my girls haven't been to a park in months... it is coooold.... they are fine. I take them to McD's for dessert and play area if they start going stir crazy and that is enough... I wouls kill for 83 right now- I wanna play outside... :-)

in answer to the real question, moms do the guilt trip thing because they can and they aren't the ones who have to go out all the time...if they were they'd make the same choices...

two kids and a pregnancy is a struggle for me sometimes... i have to begin every outing with a thorough explanation to my girls of what is going to happen and how long they can play and when mommy says it's time to go you'd better be ready or we won't come back again.... that helps at least.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 12:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2009