Do you watch movies (or tv shows) after you've read the book?

I try not to, but sometimes I give in anyway, and I don't know why. I can think of maybe 3 instances where I didn't hate the media version of a book, but far more where they destroy it, to the point they shouldn't attach it to the same title as the book.

(why yes, I did finally get around to watching the Hunger Games tonight, what a pile o' crap)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:24 PM on Mar. 15, 2013 in Entertainment

• lol Sometimes. I do not expect them to follow the book at all closely though.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:59 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• I'm a big book reader, so all the time I will watch something after I had read the book. And many times if I find out that a movie I would like to watch is from a book, I will make it a point buy and read the book before seeing the movie.

There have only been two where the differences in the movie/show compared to the book has driven me nuts to the point of ruining my watching experience...Stephen King's Tommyknockers (dog in book was a beagle...dog on movie was a shaggy sheep-dog type thing...how freaking hard would it have been to get a beagle?!?!?) and LJ Smith's The Vampire Diaries (Elaina had a 4 year old sister in book...not only changed gender of sibling, but added 10+ years to his age...I seriously could not watch that show the first 2 seasons, then after getting some more time between book and show, I was able to watch show...now I love it).
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:16 AM on Mar. 16, 2013

• I just bought the vampire diarie books. I love the show but I've been told the shows nothing like the books. So I've waited four season to buy the books. I am afraid to read them incase I like the books more. So I'm not sure what to do lol because books are usually better than the movies. I still haven't seen Anna Karenina but Keira knightly is in it so I'm sure Ill like it.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 12:32 AM on Mar. 16, 2013

• Usually, I guess just so I can complain about how different it is. It makes a nice bonding experience with my mom and younger sister. We are all avid readers and movie watchers. We pass books around among each other, watch the movies, and discuss what like and dislike over coffee or a meal kinda like a book club. I haven't watched Hunger Games yet, so it's that bad? My movie watching has slacked off a bunch since having children.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:39 AM on Mar. 16, 2013

• I usually try to read the book first, and sometimes I do find that I'm disappointed by the movie. I try to remind myself, though, that they have to cut things out in order to make a reasonable length movie. When they change little things, like making a character a blonde instead of a brunette or cutting out a character that didn't really play a role other than filler, I can deal. When they make changes like changing a character's gender, age, marital status, etc., that bothers me more, but I try to see if I can understand why. It's not often I can see a good reason for it, but every now and then, I can.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:55 AM on Mar. 16, 2013

• I haven't watched Hunger Games yet, so it's that bad?

They turned it into Twilight in a forest preserve - nobody's hungry, it's over in a week, and the main focus is on the "love triangle"
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• I do it all the time. I go in prepared to be disappointed, so when it's even a little bit good, I'm pleasantly surprised.

I can think of 3 book-to-film movies that I really enjoyed:
    Pride and Prejudice (a few of them were good, actually)
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (many differences, but still loved it)
    The Shining (Stanley Kubrick's version. Actually like it BETTER than the book - even though it's heavily changed. Stephen King's attempt at turning his book into a miniseries was garbage. Stinky garbage.)

As for The Hunger Games - I didn't HATE it...but it was a terrible representation of the book. Throughout the movie, I kept thinking that if I hadn't read the book, I'd have been pretty damned confused about what was going on and why they were doing some things.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 6:19 AM on Mar. 17, 2013

• I love reading so no surprise that I always hate the movies. The hunger games , Rookie Stackhouse series, twilight yeah the books are always better but for some unknown reason I keep hoping the movies will get better lol.

Then again isn't insanity doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results!!!!
    PlineyJane

Answer by PlineyJane at 1:10 AM on Mar. 20, 2013