Husband going away...

My husband is going to be going to Iraq this year and we are also trying to buy a house. We rent an apartment right now (2 bedrooms) close to my/his parents and family. We have a 5-month-old too. If you were in my situation, would you rather get a house before he leaves, stay with one of the mothers, or just stay in the apartment? P.S. I am still scared of the dark lol and I HATE being by myself!

CassCass

Asked by CassCass at 11:01 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Travel

• Well, you know how much you get for BAH (housing allowance), and if you are making money by being in the apartment (if your rent is less than your BAH), then you could just stay there and continue to save for a house. If you move in with your mom or MIL, you can get the full BAH and then just help them with their house payment and save even more, or you could opt to buy a house since it is a good buyers market. There are advantages and disadvantages to each. If my hubby ends up on a 12 month unaccompanied, we are moving in with my mom and just paying her cable/telephone/water bills and part of electricity bill each month and saving the rest of the money we would get for BAH. We would end up saving about $700 a month, which would be awesome. Its whatever decision is best for you and the family.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• If you can get along with your faimly and you really hate being alone, why not stay with one of them?

You can use the time to save up for a bigger downpayment on a house.

On the other hand, if you can afford to buy, it's a great time.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:10 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Yeah, thats what I think. My mother-in-law says that we would have too hard a time trying to get back into an apartment if I give it up and go live with them. I can understand that we wouldnt be able to get a house immediately, so we might be intruding on a parent when he gets back, so that makes me want to get a house or just stay here. My mom would LOVE it if I stayed with her, but I would have to stay in my sisters room with the baby and that would just be way too crowded. My husband says that if we bought the house now, he would rather be paying on it now then wait for a bigger down payment and I'm sure there is some good financial reason for that, but I'm a 2year old when it comes to finance...he handles all that
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 11:20 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Are you learning how to handle the finances, so you can take care of them while he's gone? I hope so.

As for what to do, that's a tough one. Each one has it's own advantages and disadvantages. Staying with a mom saves you money, but then as they told you, it can be more difficult to find another place, plus you might get frustrated with the close quarters since grandma may tend to try to tell you how to take care of the baby. Buying the house now, if you can afford it, would be good, but if you rush b/c he's leaving you could get stuck with problems you would have otherwise seen, and you'll have to handle any repairs or anything that comes up while he's gone. Staying in the apartment gives you your own space, a place for him to come home to, and a good renting history which could help with the house purchase later. But, you'll be spending money for rent. I guess it just depends on which one feels the most right to you.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:39 AM on Feb. 16, 2009