Am i the worst mom for not taking my 8 year old to the dentist yet?

I hate dentists. I have luckily had very rare issues with my teeth, no cavities til I was pregnant. . My parent snever took us. But the few times like getting wisdom teeth out and a root canal. . Scared me for life. I have cavities now but I refuse to go. I know its stupid but I also hate the cost and I do not have time enough in my day to have them work on me. Its part of why I haven't taken my kids. We are vigilant about brushing, but we have gottne lax on checking my oldest sons teeth. Now we are paying the price. He has what looks like tooth decay on 3 molars. Its like a lpunch to the gut. Im too embarrassed to even show my face when I take him to see the dentist.

Am I the only mom who waited this long?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Mar. 16, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think its really wrong to put your issues onto your children like this. I'm terrified of the dentist myself but I don't let that rule my children receiving healthcare.

Worst mom ever.... no. There are much worse things. But get your kids in to the dentist.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:13 AM on Mar. 16, 2013

• My son is 6 and hes hasnt been to the dentist yet. He brushes a lot and theres no sign of decay.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 12:16 AM on Mar. 16, 2013

• I started taking my kids at the age of 2. Nothing more than just getting them used to seeing a dentist and getting what few teeth they had cleaned. We made the visit every 6 months until they moved out on their own.
    To this day, they're still vigilant about going to the dentist.
    Dental visits are so important, not only for their teeth but all around good health.

If you think a basic cleaning is expensive, wait until you take your son now and you're paying for fillings, x-rays etc.
    Forget about feeling embarrassed, his dental health is much more important than your feelings.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:20 AM on Mar. 16, 2013

• Eh. Just sets a bad example for the kids. Take the kid now. Good luck.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:20 AM on Mar. 16, 2013

staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:21 AM on Mar. 16, 2013

• not the worst mom
    leaves room before anything regrettable is said

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:21 AM on Mar. 16, 2013

• It happens but from now on keep up on his dental visits
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:28 AM on Mar. 16, 2013

• My kids couldn't get into kindergarten with out going to the dentist my girls have gone since they were four. Worst mom idk but I do think it's not fair to your kids. Exspecialy if their teeth are not being properly taken care of.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 12:38 AM on Mar. 16, 2013

• I wouldn't say that you were the worst mom ever, but had you taken him to the dentist sooner he might not have tooth decay now. Both of my kids have been to a dentist, and neither of them are even 3 years old yet. My 2 1/2 year old has gone to the dentist twice already and my 15 month old has been to the dentist once. They go once year, I hate the dentist, but I still bring my kids. I have had 3 or 4 oral surgeries and now have jaw issues because of it, but I am not going to let the affect my children's health.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:27 AM on Mar. 16, 2013

• Nobody likes the dentist but we take our kids because its the right thing to do. Now you see what can happen when you don't, the question is what are you going to do about it?

Answer by missanc at 9:10 AM on Mar. 16, 2013