How much do you think secretaries/administrators who work in school offices make?

Do you think you have to have some sort of child development degree to be a school principal?

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 16, 2013 in Money & Work

• My sister is a school principal. She needed a Masters in Education to reach that level
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:41 AM on Mar. 16, 2013

• A lot of the financial information is available (at least in my state) through the school's website under the "transparency" tab. They publish the teacher's union agreements, salary scales, information about benefits, and the pay of administrators and other school workers. In our area, secretaries get paid about $40,000 per year, and teachers get paid around $60,000 with a bachelor's degree and a few years of experience. Not bad in our area, that's for sure.

I also know that our state requires certain licensing or clearances for most positions that encounter students. Every principle that I know of in our area has a master's degree in education.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:51 AM on Mar. 16, 2013

• Oh wow. Does she make good money?
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Mar. 16, 2013

• Yeah that's not too bad mom-2-3-girlz.
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Mar. 16, 2013

• Depends on the state where you live. Principals need a Masters degree & special administrative certification. I think they make about $60,K to start. (maybe more)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 16, 2013

• I don't know what secretaries make in my district, but I know that principals make around 100k.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• The salary schedule for your district will likely be posted online. It's a matter of public record. Check the district's HR link and look for "Salary Schedule." It may not specifically state "secretary," though... some of the schedules just have a classification number and you need to know that. It can usually be found with job descriptions.

In my district, elementary school principals start at $94K. HS principals at $103K. (And I should note our high schools are as big as some colleges. My son will enter HS next year, and his entering class alone has nearly 900 students. Student Body is 3600+!)

Answer by gdiamante at 1:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• secretary usually makes normal secretary type money and you dont need any kinda special degree. for my school district is about $30K (cheap state). principals make a good amount (for here) around $75K, but you need a Masters in Education, specifically Administration. im in school with several ppl working on it right now and most of them are currently teachers.

a small rural school district you could probably be a principal without a Masters
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• All our principals have PhD's. They make around 100K a year (which is too much)
    The secretaries make about 25K for 200 days of work per year,40 hrs a week

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• For a school secretary, it's about 8.00 to 8.50 in our district. Our school district pays once a month, but they hold out additional money because you actually earn 12 months of pay, even though you only work 9 months. So, you have to be prepared for that as well. Daughter worked as an aid for one year and only made 8.00 an hour. The pay is not very good.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2013