Does your child do this?

my 17 month old daughter acts completely different when she stays the night at my aunts house and my inlaws house. when she stays with them she goes to bed early and never throws tamptrums, and is a little angel! but when she is home she doesn't go to bed till super late and does everything to push my buttons! please tell me im not the only one with a child like this! lol

firsttimemom733

Asked by firsttimemom733 at 12:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yep. But I mean, even as an adult I'm definitely more....behaved....around people I'm not as used to than I am around my husband lol.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:46 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• My oldest is perfect for others, seriously. She has perfect conduct grades (has never been off green in Kindergarten or Pre-K). She has even gotten little awards for displaying model behavior at school. Other parents just adore her & comment on how "adult like" she is. But, at home, she can sometimes be a terror. She doesn't have tantrums, she has melt-downs, that put her 3 yr old baby sister's tantrums to shame.

So, I completely understand. Just look at it this way, it's better for them to behave with others than to not & be perfect at home.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• Great! That means they will want to have her over more often!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:55 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• This sounds like a child to me
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• It's a law of nature. Kids behave beautifully when they are with others and save their naughtiness for Mom and Dad. They feel comfortable enough with Mom and Dad to test their limits.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• Not specifically. She didn't have overnights with anyone else at that age, but in general, sure. It's not like she's a terror with us, but she is more quiet & very compliant when she is away from us. I think it reflects safety & trust. I think it's a good or reassuring sign when children feel safe enough to show their authentic reactions to their parents, rather than feeling like they have to adapt themselves in order to be accepted or loved.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 2:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• Sounds like a normal almost 2yo to me.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• No, my parents have seen my daughter's full on tantrums. My son was too young for that stuff when we were visiting family, but we will see when they come this summer.
    One odd thing that I did notice was that my daughter will sleep in a room with other people, but not with me or my husband. I had to sleep on the couch at my sister's house when I was pregnant because my daughter would NOT sleep with me in the room, but she would sleep with my dad and my mom in the same room. It seems to be this way with all of our company. She will sleep with my in-laws, my husband's grandparents, my parents, but refuses to sleep if I or my husband are in a room with her. I have no idea what that is about.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:30 AM on Mar. 17, 2013