Do you think that "Helicopter" and "Snow-plow" Parenting is actually Mental abuse?

If you are unfamiliar with the terms:

Helicopter Parents: "Hover" over their children and are involved in EVERY aspect of their children's lives.

Snow-Plow Parents: Focus on clearing the way for their children so that they never experience any hardships or disappointments.

KimmyDaring

Asked by KimmyDaring at 5:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2013 in General Parenting

• Abuse? No.

Making life more difficult for their child in the future and not doing the child any favors? Yes.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• While I don't think helicopter or snowplow parents will produce the most well rounded children, I get really tired of the word 'abuse" being thrown around for less and less serious reasons. As a survivor of substantial lifelong physical, emotional, and sexual abuse, it makes me angry to hear that now it's 'abuse' to swat your kid on the bottom or take a picture of her naked in the bathtub or be too protective of her.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• Calling everything abuse cheapens the word. If everything that isn't ideal is abuse, then we need a different word for what used to be considered abuse.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:00 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• Of course not. Also, depending on where they live and what's going on in the world, parents might have legitimate concerns about their children's safety. For example, my kids should be old enough to walk themselves to school, but I won't let them because I live in a city with a huge number of auto/ped fatalities, even in school crosswalks. Am I being abusive because I walk with them? Nope, not at all. And like Ballad said, calling everything abuse is a slap in the face to people who have suffered actual abuse.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:45 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• i guess if we're defining abuse very loosely and insulting anyone that actually has been mentally abused.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• No.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:39 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• I have the same opinion as the rest of you. While I also agree that its not abuse, it is emotionally stunting and explains this wave of self-entitled young adults. These children have zero personal accountability. I used to work in a school office and had to field angry calls to the principal every other day. "Mr. So and So picks on my child! Its his fault that my son skips class and refuses to finish his assignments."
    KimmyDaring

Comment by KimmyDaring (original poster) at 6:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2013