Can they hold a kid back in kindergarten based on standardized test scores?

Her grades are perfect. 8 excellents and 1 satisfactory all year. Her teacher is concerned because she can't sound out the 4 words on the state test and she can't come up with 4 words that rhyme together; she can only give 2 or 3 as per this test.

Furthermore, the teacher has missed over 2 months of school this year. The subs just play movies all day. I'm worried they may try to hold her back, and it will ruin her love for school; especially because her cousins and niece are all in the same grade and classroom and it will shame her to be held back.

Can kindergarteners be held back based on the state's standardized test?

Ps, teacher said 3 months ago she would tutor her during recess. I've emailed and sent notes to the teacher asking how it's going. No response. Last Monday was the first time dd was not on the playground for recess and stayed for tutoring. Recess is at the end of the day so it's obvious in the car line if she is on the playground or coming out of the class.

I'm worried. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Mar. 16, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• In most schools the parents have the final say.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:46 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• Depends on the state I presume. Here if the child does not meet or surpass certain academic goals in one or more areas and in a few grades pass the standardized test then they can be held back.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:47 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• It can be a challenge getting a child held back, even when they should be. I wouldn't worry. State tests are more for funding towards the school than academic achievement on the part of the child. If your teacher is concerned continue working with her over those areas at home.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• my niece was held back in kindergarten. she didnt care or even notice she just knew she was going to school... some kids dont care.. dont even notice.. they go to school to meet friends.. some places they will hold your child back and some they wont.. around here they usually ask if you want your child to be held back.

Anonymous

• What concerns me is that she is getting good grades, but not able to pass the standardized test? Are the expectations that low? I would question the teacher and principal about the discrepancy between the grades and her abilities.
    I don't think they can hold her back, but it would be a great question for the school.

Answer by missanc at 7:50 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• I would talk to the teacher, and if she says she plans to recommend holding her back, let her give you the reasons, then ask to talk to the principal, and tell her/ him your concerns, and promise to work with your daughter on the things the teacher says need improving, and ask if you can request that she be allowed to go to 1st grade.

Personally, I wish my son had been left back. He was not emotionally ready to go into 1st grade, and he was small.  He suffered for it his entire elementary schooling. His immaturity hurt his ability to make friends, and he was bullied and teased.  

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 7:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• First of all she should NOT be missing recess... that's a terrible idea!! If she is having that much trouble speak to the principal about the staffing issue and demand that she gets extra help from the reading specialist or the district SLP ASAP!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:56 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• They can hold you back for lots of reasons. I almost got held back because I was anti-social.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 12:34 AM on Mar. 17, 2013

• What are YOU doing at home to help her?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:42 AM on Mar. 17, 2013

• I would refuse to let them do it. She's getting good grades, there is no reason for her to be held back.

I agree with Crafty, missing recess is a terrible idea. The teacher should know this, but it doesn't sound like she is a very good teacher.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 18, 2013