A friend asked a question: Don't know,how to answer.. Advice needed. (About an affair & birth certificate.) adult content

If your married & have an affair,become pregnant.. Does your,husband automatically get added on the birth certificate or is it,whoever you tell the hospital is the babies father?
What is the correct legal steps,in a situation like this?.. since,she wants to do what is best..She knows,she made a mistake but now it's about the baby.
Thank you,for helping.. I was at a loss,on what information to provide her.
Please only constructive advice & no bashing,thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2013 in General Parenting

• staci that is not true.. if your married they will not allow you to put another mans name on there unless a dna test proves the other man is the father. if she doesnt get a dna test then her choices are her husband or not putting a dad on there.

See that is the part I feel may vary state by state. who *can* be put on the certificate or if the space can be left blank if you are married... I can see how the 'rules' involved could differ quite a bit.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• In my opinion, I would want the child to have the same last name as the rest of the family. I would list the husband as the father. If they are all being civil, can they draw up an agreement for support and visitation so the father can still be activly involved? It sounds like they should be able to work something out if they have made it though everything thus far.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 6:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• Thank you,for the advice ladies..
    Like i told her,although I don't agree what went on.. It is,what it is.
    So,now it's finding out what is best for this child to have the best future possible.
    I feel just because she is married does not mean,the baby should get his last name since that is not fair to this man either.
    Everyone,is being civil but no matter what someone will be hurt & just hoping in the end damages can be next to none.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:16 PM on Mar. 17, 2013