My daughter is always saying she is to short how can i help her or tell me when they get thier growth spurt

She is ten

anahigonzalez

Asked by anahigonzalez at 12:22 AM on Mar. 17, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Tell her that she is short because God didn't need as much time to make her perfect as tall people.

I am 5'1" tall (or short), my aunt is 4'11". Instead of worrying about when she will have a growth spurt (which NONE of us can predict) why not teach her to be happy with who she is? Give her positive self esteem. Every one is different and she needs to learn to embrace who she is.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2013

• There is nothing you can do to help her grow, besides make sure she is eatting healthy foods, getting exercise and sleeping well. After that, its genetics! Are you short?(mom/dad) that will tell most. I am short, and have never had any problems with it :)
    Anonymous

• I am short. And I stopped growing when I was 12. I would be very careful about reassuring her that she'll have a growth spurt or isn't done growing yet, because if you're wrong, you'll upset her even more. You need to focus on making her happy with the height she is - regardless of how tall or short that might be. Point out the advantages of being short (she'll never bump her head on a doorway, she can wear just about any height of high heels and not be taller than her husband, whatever you can come up with that will appeal to her). Encourage her to realize and accept that her height is not something she can control, and that whatever height she is when she stops growing is the height that she was meant to be, and therefore is exactly the right height for her.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:47 AM on Mar. 17, 2013

• Yep, this is one of those "hang in there with your kid" times. Sometimes they don't like their name, or their hair, or their voice, or...
    I think what you don't want to do is focus on trying to change the way she feels or her perceptions. Don't get into arguing about whether or not she is "right"!! It's also not a good idea to minimize her feelings (or tell her she "shouldn't" be upset, either because she's "NOT too short," or because nobody can control that, or because she's not done growing, or because she just needs a different attitude...)
    I agree that the resolution will be an internal matter, coming from within her, but that doesn't come from being "instructed." Internal resolution is a product or outcome of being able to feel HOWEVER you feel, and say it, & having that be "okay" to the person listening. (They're not trying to change you, or fix your problem.) Then you can start to relate to, or "process," your feelings.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:07 AM on Mar. 17, 2013

• I would tell her to look around. Every one is different hights. She is only 10. They do not do their final growth spurt tell teen years.

Answer by louise2 at 7:01 AM on Mar. 17, 2013

• I'm short. Always have been, always will be. Partly because of genetics, partly because I was a preemie who took a very long time to catch up to my peers. I used to hate it as a kd, but I finally figured out there was nothing I'd be able to do about it, so I accepted it. Not only accepted it but embraced it. I started telling people that good things came in small packages. I laughed when people compared me and my future husband to Mutt and Jeff, and I took that stupid song "Short People Have No Reason to Live" as my theme song in junior high. Maybe you can help your daughter turn her shortness to an asset instead of a liability.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:53 AM on Mar. 17, 2013

• Seriously how short is too short? There is no answer to this as height is based on genetics. Some people are just "short". She's 10 so she's still growing but really if she's having self esteem issues this early on you have some serious work to do to giv her a positive self image.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:33 AM on Mar. 17, 2013

• i have a short kid. she was FTT due to a milk protein allergy. she never recuperated from it and will probably only be my only kid who will never be taller than me :(

all you can really do, imho, is make sure she has a strong, positive outlook on life. and learn to take short jokes in stride.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:28 AM on Mar. 17, 2013