Do I have the right to be upset?

My sister found out through a myspace survey that I took, that I smoke cigarettes on occasion. When I say on occasion I mean I have only smoked a total of five cigarettes in the last three months. I answered the question honestly because I never felt that I needed to hide it. I ONLY smoke outside on our patio when my kids are in bed for the night and DH is inside with the kids (just in case they wake up). My sister ended up asking me about it in front of my parents on Saturday. Why anyone should care what I do is beyond me but whatever. So it sparked a huge debate and everyone acts like its the end of the world. My youngest daughter is almost 9 months old and she has always been smaller but is on track for her growth. Now my family is accusing me of smoking during my pregnancy and think that is why she is smaller. I NEVER would have done that and actually I just picked up smoking again in the last three months. CONT.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Before that it had been five years since I smoked. I am just offended that my family thinks I would harm my child like that. My sister walked up to my oldest daughter and said "Maybe you should live with me since your mom obviously doesnt care for you. Your mom smokes and that harmed your sister". I was so upset by that. I would admit if I did that but I DIDNT. Do I have the right to be upset by that? I just feel sad that they think I would harm my children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• you do have the right to be upset i would tell them its none of their business if you smoke or not
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:26 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• its none of their business and your sister should have never said that to your daughter.
    you know that you didnt smoke while pregnant and that you didnt harm your daughter, just ignore them. your an adult and you can make your own decisions dont let them bother you
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 11:26 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I would be upset with it too. I never smoked when I was pregnant but when I started working at the nursing home 7 months ago it put too much stress on me that I started smoking. I dont smoke very often but my mother still doesnt know. I'm 21 years old, married with 2 kids but for some reason I dont feel that I should have to tell my mother. Its not like I smoke all of the time, just occasionally when I'm stressed out with the kids I will have a cigarette. What you do is your own choice. Its none of their business.
    agrafel

Answer by agrafel at 11:28 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• You definitely have the right to be upset. They have no right to tell you what to do in your own home. They may concerned for your children's health but as long as they know you don't do it around them should have been enough to pacify them. And for your sister to say something like that to your daughter is just plain wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• it is none of there business what you do in your home on your time. if they keep at liking this i would not be around them at all ever! what they did was not just rude but hateful. if i were i would tell them that if they are going to treat you like this that you will not go around them and not have contact with them. your family should support you no matter what. even if they don't agree with your choices.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:36 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• If I were you I would have punched your sisters lights out for saying that and yes you do have every right to be upset.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 11:44 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Wow I can not believe she said that to your daughter. That is ridiculous! You have every right to be upset.

joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 2:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Your sister is seriously out of line...I would have had to take her aside then and there and read her the riot act for speaking to my children like that, this is why i stopped doing those surveys though- you never know who will read it, and if it is not their business then I don't post it. Though I am also going to school to be a teacher and apparently teachers must be perfect adults/role models at all times so I'd hate to risk my career for a myspace survey.

I honestly (being the hormonal pregnant mess I am) kinda wanna know where to find her because I feel irrationally po'ed at your sister right now...haha...

I'm just gonna make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich instead...
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 2:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I would have punched her in the face that was soo uncalled for.
    Ms.MarineWife

Answer by Ms.MarineWife at 4:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2009