• In the Spotlight:

Which would you feed your dog?

If the ONLY choice you had to feed your dog was crappy low quality dog food (alpo) or human food scraps, which would you choose?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Pets

• Hello: Well, I would feed the human food / But - if you need info on proper foods and diets/ see here: good help.
    Dog Food Reviews and recipes for home made dog food, too

http://www.allexperts.com/expert.cgi?m=1&catID=3799&expID=96050
    nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 2:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Human food scraps, but be careful, some things such as onions and garlic can make dogs sick. This said, I worry about the dog getting enough nutrition. I need to research this as I am getting a new puppy soon. If you find out anything let me know. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I'd have to go with the crappy dog food. I couldn't make enough food scraps to satisfy my pig..I mean, dog. lol
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:27 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• You can feed human food if you know what they need to have a healthy dog.Vitamins, calcium, etc. is what they need also because they are conifers. They eat meat which is a proteinbased diet. I do feed 3 dogs on one boiler chicken,sweet  potatoes,and some rice, mixed with veggies that they can have, and make it last a wk. So you could buy dry food and add chicken, or other food  like human food to give it something good to eat. But you need to know what human food they can have. Some dogs get allergies to commercial dog food, so what ever your dog kind is just be careful what you feed so you don't have medical problems later.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I agree with tropicalmama. I would have to buy the cheap crappy food. I don't have enough scraps to feed my dog. I would have to feed them scraps when available and suppliment with crappy food!
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 9:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• that is a really really tough one, human food tends to be too greasy and fatty for dogs and can cause Pancreatitis(unless i'm confusing it with something that sounds similar lol, been a while since i worked at the vets, maybe pendicites(sp?)) But i also hate all the crap they put in low grade dog food, so i guess i would say scraps, but i would only give the not greasy, not too fatty scraps lol
    Rachel1786

Answer by Rachel1786 at 11:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

•  

Here is the link again to dog food reviews:

Link to the Dog Food sites and HOME made dog food recipes...

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 2:46 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Hmm...that's tough. I think Maybe I would go with the dog food though. People food can cause problems unless you are using the right thing and that can get expensive to. Regular old Purina or pedigree are not to expensive and are still a good foods. I would always buy a name brand not the store brand. I would want a food that went through feeding trials.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:10 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I make mine of rice,mixed veg,chicken and the juice,1can of tomato sauce, 1 can of black beans and cut up purple seaweed. Freeze it in containers for the week. I give them Benificial and vitimins also. Mine like green food too so broklie, greenbeans and carrots like once a week. I got an old dog when i was 8 and he lived off of leftovers and died when i was 35! We were on a farm and i guess he eat eggs too i know he killed things in the woods! He just got leftovers thats all!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• A vet will tell you not to give them food scraps but they live longer on it than dog food!
    workgoat

Answer by workgoat at 4:28 AM on Mar. 13, 2009