Will I re-qualify for medicaid in Ohio?

I have a 4 year old daughter and we were both on medicaid until about two months ago when I received a letter saying I no longer qualify. I make 1,500 a month BEFORE taxes and about 1,200 after. They are saying that since I make more than 90% the federal poverty line that neither I nor my daughter qualify.

So, I went and got Anthem and it has worked out because my fiance (not my daughter's dad) has been helping me out financially...otherwise I'd be SCREWED. Well, we found out yesterday that I'm pregnant. I'm on the pill and have been since my daughter was born and have had no issues with it, haven't been on an antibiotic, haven't missed any pills...yet here I am, pregnant. It sucks but we are making the best of it.

Because I just got Anthem and wasn't planning on having a child anytime soon I didn't get a maternity rider (plus it's an extra FOUR HUNDRED a month)...and now I cannot get one because it's a "pre-existing" condition and even If I could...we couldn't afford that extra 400.

So, I'm going to try to get medicaid again. Will I qualify now? I have no clue how this works! I was on my parents insurance when I gave birth to my daughter so I don't know if it's different for pregnant women. Will my daughter requalify as well? I can't get insurance just for her...no agency will do it.

I don't know what to do! Help :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Typically if you are pregnant you are covered. Ultimately, however, you'll have to go in and fill out the paperwork to find out.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• I think you would probably qualify for Medicaid to cover pregnancy-related bills, but the insurance you're paying for would cover other stuff and your daughter still. And once you have the baby, then the Medicaid would stop. But I'm not completely sure, so the best thing to do is fill out the paperwork and see what they tell you.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:13 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• Apply again.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• As far as you daughter goes, does your state not have a "low income" insurance program for children? In our state a family of four has to make over $50,000 to NOT qualify to be on it! Call up your County Health office and inquire about state-sponsored insurance for your daughter!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:56 AM on Mar. 18, 2013