Any nurses/educated medical staff online?

no, i dont want to know if i should take my kid with 104 fever to the ER- lol!

im actually concerned about my mom. she has had a persistent, what she describes as "nagging", pain in her chest for days. i found out when my dad was over on thursday, talking to her on her cell while she was at work and asking if she was feeling better. she told me then, on thursday, that it had been going on for days. which seemed unusual to me since she was at work still and continuing life as if nothing was happening.

then today she even came and picked up my kids and took them for an hour. she seemed fine. but when i spoke with her on the phone later this evening, she sounded either sick or tired. she said that she was tired, lethargic, and felt the same way yesterday afternoon. like she could hardly walk kind of lethargic. i asked her why she came and took the kids if she felt so bad, she said the nagging pain in her chest isn't as bad in the morning, but gets worse throughout the day, then she feels exhausted.

she also says its "not so bad" as long as she tries not to take a deep breath. her BP was high-ish at 140/90, but she took one of her BP pills and it came down. nagging pain is still there though.

i am fearing the worst, that something is wrong with her heart/lungs. i really hope its not an impending heart attack. she is a heavy smoker. she never drinks water, like ever. she's extremely thin and very underweight. she says she "thinks" she'll go to the doctor if she still feels bad tomorrow. stubborn woman!! i am so worried about her :(

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2013 in Health

• Where in here chest is the pain? Does it radiate or does it stay in one spot? Does she have any arm or jaw pain?

The first thing I thought of when I read this was some sort of viral or bacterial infection but with her heavy smoking and her BP issues I think she should get into the doctor tomorrow.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• I don't know tnm, I would recommend her go to ER. The thing with a heart attack is you can try and relate those symptoms to just about anything, but by then it could be too late for her. With her history of high BP, her smoking, her frailty, the lingering pain.... Of course it could be numerous things... I'd just sleep better if she went to ER.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• As an EMT, my ER Dr. used to tell patients, "I can't treat dead". Tell her that... Maybe you can scare her into going.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• This sounds concerning. I would highly encourage her to go to the Dr.

Is she coughing?
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 8:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• The reason I asked if she has a cough is because I see a lot of patients with similar symptoms and it turns out to be Pneumonia or Bronchitis. Enough to hospitalize them.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 8:37 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• I'll be thinking of you and your mom. Keep us posted.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 8:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• I hope she goes to the doctor tomorrow. Please keep us posted.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 8:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• Not a nurse or medical personnel, but been down this road many times with my dad and now my husband. Get her to the ER right away.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:34 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• By the way, the last time my dad went to the ER for his heart, the doc told him that if he waited for his arm to hurt he'd have died.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• Yeah... I agree with PMS & Prissy 100%... had the same thoughts!! She needs to see her Doc.... as M-avi says... doc can't treat dead... may not be that bad but things can go south pretty quick if left unchecked!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2013