How can i make my son stop touching ears?

My son wont stop touching ears and im getting tired of it.. his sister use to do it and sometimes still does.. im sure its a comfort thing bc they both started it as babies when going to sleep. My daughter grew out of it.. but my son just wont give it up! He touches all ears and tells me he like this persons ears more then another persons. lol.. its cute but annoying and has to stop. any ideas?

chrstny88

Asked by chrstny88 at 10:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It sounds like something he's pretty persistent about! I know little kids can be compulsive about some forms of touch. Sometimes there's an emotional component & if you limit the behavior, you'll see that.
    Maybe you could approach it very explicitly. Start with "allowing," and point out how after a certain time he can't do it anymore. Give him a time limit (like, set an actual timer for a certain number of minutes or some short length of time that you can tolerate), tell him he can touch your ears but after the timer goes off he will have to stop. Be aware that he might get really upset. If he ignores the limit & tries to persist, use the least amount of force necessary to prevent him from touching your ears. If he simply cries or tantrums, realize that some of the desperation behind this "fixation" is getting expressed, since he can't use his "coping" or comfort behavior. Stay caring, "I know it's hard; I'm here with you."
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• Go anon and tell him to stop. LOL
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• LOL chrstny!

Mean mommy, mean!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• Who cares if he touches his ears... at least he's not touching his balls all the time!!! Ears are nothing compared to the testicle stage!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• LMAO Crafty! Damn!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• lol.. if only that would work... stand behind a door an tell him?? does that count?
    chrstny88

Comment by chrstny88 (original poster) at 10:14 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• Hey, that might work. Might scare the hell out of him though, lol
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:16 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• hahaha... i have stayed being the wall and talked to my daughter in a different voice and scared her.. she kept saying ahhh mom? mommy?
    chrstny88

Comment by chrstny88 (original poster) at 10:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• What if you touch his ears and let him feel how annoying it is?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:22 PM on Mar. 17, 2013

• ive tried.. he doesnt care lol.....
    chrstny88

Comment by chrstny88 (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Mar. 17, 2013