A lot of people are against Athesits right? Well babys dont believe in anything. doesnt that make them atheists untill mommy and daddy say here believe what we do???

chrstny88

Asked by chrstny88 at 12:11 AM on Mar. 18, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• well when you cant even comprehend how to talk, walk, nourish yourself, and not crap yourself id say you arent really able to confirm or deny a belief in a higher power. i mean its not really on a baby's radar...so id say they're more agnostic or apathetic than atheist. they dont believe in a god but they dont not believe in a god either. but i agree with the meaning behind the poster.

oh and i know the Christian answer to this...babies still remember being with God and because of their innocence are more in-tune with what God wants from us. havent you ever seen them stare up into the ceiling like they are looking at angels...or something like that...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:31 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• I don't think "a lot" of people are against atheists. Only stupid ones.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:16 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Babies don't have the power of language or concrete thought. They don't have the knowledge to understand that their own hands and feet are attached to their bodies, or that Mommy and Daddy are still in existance when they are out of sight. So I don't really think they have the intellectual capacity to believe or disbelieve anything, one way or the other. It's true that they will usually take on the values or religious faiths of their parents, at least for a while, but I wouldn't call them agnostics or atheists as babies. They're closer to houseplants, albeit houseplants with potential.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:51 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• I think you meant agnostic.

And yes we are nothing but what our parents tell us.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:22 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• No. Athiests choose not to believe in God, just like religious people choose to believe. Babies aren't either, unless you want to get into what their parents choose for them by having them baptized. Also, I don't think "a lot of people are against Athiests".
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:03 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• I do not think a lot of people are against atheists.

As far as babies are concerned, I would not say that they are one thing or another since I can not see into their minds/ hearts and they can not effectively communicate those ideas to me. We do know that babies are not a completely blank slate.

So go the other direction. A child is fill with the ideas/ beliefs of his/her atheist parents. The child is atheisist, right? This child becomes a XYZ religion. Why? For the same reasons that the child raised in XYZ religion makes a change to PDQ religion or atheism; free choice.

Babies are not atheists when they are born. They have not made that decision, yet.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:09 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• atheism is anything not believing or denies the existence of a supreme being or beings...so technically by definition yes while you could, you could also say inanimate objects are as well.
    lidibolton

Answer by lidibolton at 12:19 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• that is true
    chrstny88

Comment by chrstny88 (original poster) at 12:19 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• yea that lol.. im not big on religion.. there are too many different ones to choose from.. no one knows which one is real.. so i choose none :)
    chrstny88

Comment by chrstny88 (original poster) at 12:27 AM on Mar. 18, 2013