Insomnia and difficulty sleeping all of a sudden. What helps?

I have no idea why I can't seem to get to sleep lately. It's just been the last couple of days. I have a horrible time trying to get to sleep. It's like 4 or 4:30 by the time I get to sleep and I get about 5 hours when I finally go down. I am not under any additional stress, no change in diet or exercise. No new meds.

So, for those of you with similar issues, what helps you get to sleep?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 12:26 AM on Mar. 18, 2013 in Health

• i hear zzzquil is pretty good. its from the makers of ny/dayquil, and its only purpose is for sleep. its non habit forming and OTC. i wish i knew the miracle cure for insomnia lol i guess it varies with each person.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:52 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• When I have nights like that, I take a Benadryl. Puts me right to sleep.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:30 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• they have "non habit forming" sleeping aids you can buy. I lay in bed and read, which helps.
    lidibolton

Answer by lidibolton at 12:39 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Every single night of my life! Currently, I am taking Benadryl. I've tried prescription sleeping aids and hate them. I've used the sleepy tea and it gives me nightmares. Benadryl is the only safe thing, I believe....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:47 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Wine...... lol... a glass or 2 & you'll be relaxed & sleep like a baby...... haha
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 12:57 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• I might have to try the wine thing too. ^^
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:59 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• It really depends on your body. I've tried everything, and pretty much nothing helps me except a prescription sleep aid. Unisom, one of the nonhabit-forming OTC aids, did nothing for me but it worked wonders for my boyfriend. Volarian root gave me nightmares, but a friend of mine swears by it. Another friend of mine finds that one Tylenol PM and one Advil PM, taken tgether, puts her out like a light. So you have to just keep trying ideas till you find what works for you. I hope this issue goes away as suddenly as it has come upon you.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:01 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Truthfully, drugs.

At first I needed them all the time and then a little less and a little less. I do not think I will ever be without them.
    Some say mellatonin. My Dr. says I can not take it. I do not remember why. Sometimes hot chocolate helps.

Many years ago whe it was just a once in a while thing, I would go and do the most boring chore I had, usually cleaning the oven.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:02 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• This happened to be a couple weeks ago. Only lasted a few nights but still no explanation. Sleep aids make me tired but restless. Waking up early and wearing myself out all day works.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:54 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Melatonin - safe and natural but only take it for 2-3 weeks to get your body back on a regular rhythm. If I don't have melatonin I drink a glass of milk and a 1/2 peanut butter sandwich. It helps!

Answer by missanc at 7:22 AM on Mar. 18, 2013