Egg drop challenge for kindergarten students -- suggestions?

Although an interesting assignment, I believe my almost-6-year-old is a bit young for this science challenge. Sounds like PARENT HOMEWORK to me! Anyone have suggestions how to keep an egg from breaking when dropped off the school roof?? You can't soak the egg in vinegar first and can't use pillows. UGH -- maybe a parachute?? (which I have NO IDEA how to make). SUGGESTIONS??

BaileysMom476

Asked by BaileysMom476 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 18, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I actually won the egg drop we had in junior high. lol I cut up an egg carton and wrapped it in duct tape. I left a small opening at the top where the teacher could put in the egg & then I resealed it. Mine was the only one that didn't break.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 11:03 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• bubble wrap?

*I don't remember how we did it- but I remember looking up idea online for it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:04 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• How about asking your six year old to pack it up as safely as they can. A small box and a roll of toilet tissue could work!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:04 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 11:04 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• ABeaverhausen -- so you only used the section that holds ONE egg?
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Thanks for the link!
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Yes, but I used multiple sections. I'm trying to think how to explain it. Let me draw what I did maybe? lol brb
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 11:07 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• lol ABeaverhausen -- thanks! I will brb also:-)
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 11:09 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

•  

It's pretty bulky and I put about half an inch of duct tape all over the outside.  I can't believe they're doing this in Kindergarten though!

ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 11:13 AM on Mar. 18, 2013

• See what ideas your child comes up with. Discuss different options. You might just be surprised. I'd also let them decide the final design as it is supposed to be their project. They're pretty smart little kids who have a big imagination which is the whole point of the homework. It's not really about if the egg breaks or not. 99% of them will. It's more about what the ideas the kids come up with.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2013