Anyone else have a toddler who loves citrus but can't stomach it??

My 2 year old LOVES anything citrus but everytime we used to give her citrus things(oranges, orange juice, Sunny D etc. ) she would either throw up , get the poops or just have a bad belly ache. We stopped giving her citrus stuff but she always asks for it. Will she grow out of it once she gets older I wonder??

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 11:38 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Did you try mixing the juice with some water? I still dilute my kids juice a little bit and they are 1 1/2 and 2 1/2. Sometimes the citrus is hard on their stomachs.
    I have been told that they out grow that, usually by 2 I think?
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 11:49 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I'm wondering the same thing. My son simply cannot and never could stomach any type of fruit except banana. He would get the runs constantly when I was breastfeeding and finally once he couldn't stomach canned baby fruit I tied the two and two together because I eat a lot of fruit. He can't have juice, even diluted half and half with water. I'm just gonna slowly introduce fruits to him by 2.5 and see. If by 3 this is still going on...I'll bring it to the docs attention.
    chrissy12507

Answer by chrissy12507 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My niece likes citrus, but it gives her violent diaper rash and I mean VIOLENT. Her little privates were super red, raw and swollen!! My sister cannot give her any kind juice at all.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• We water down OJ but still the same result. She CAN drink apple juice (Mots for Tots that already is watered down) without having any problems it is just ANYTHING citrus.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 1:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Stop giving citrus. Just (for now) tell her that citrus isn't good for her right now and she might get to try some later.

My second son has a reaction to even the slightest bit of citrus...he gets loose bowels for two days, it reeks of the citrus smell and literally BURNS his butt (before potty training when he was in diapers, anyway) This all from ONE bite. (think one gummy bear)

Our pediatrician told me to just hold off on him and the other boys...there is no NEED for citrus. But he said we could try him every few months if we wanted. The last time we tried it (Christmas break) he had more of a "mushy" poop but not loose...but same smell. We're waiting until this summer again to try it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2009