Frozen roast

I have a roast that's approximately 1.5 lbs that I want to throw into the crockpot, only I forgot to thaw it last night. Think it'll cook okay? There's about 9 hours til dinnertime. I've thrown frozen chicken breasts in there before out of necessity but those just aren't that thick to begin with.

Ginger0104

Asked by Ginger0104 at 12:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Well, I took a class with a nutritionist who said never to put frozen meat into a slow cooker because it will spend too much time at an unsafe in between temperature. Then I e-mailed crockpot and they said no, they don't recommend putting frozen meat in the crockpot. Defrost it in the microwave first for safety.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:11 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• I've put a frozen roast in a few times and it turned out fine. The juice was a little more watery. You still have time if you put it on high.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• I guess I am the only one that would just trow th frozen roast in the crock pot. With some water and vegies, put it on high for half the day.
    I have done it with a whole frozen chicken beforeand it came out good. No one got sick.

Answer by louise2 at 2:53 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• I agree; can you thaw it out in the microwave, or in a pan of cool water, first?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• You can also boil the water before putting it with the roast and have the slow cooker already turned on and heated up.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• I didn't even think of putting it in water. Thank you.

I'd defrost in the micro but it sucks, winds up cooking the meat.
    Ginger0104

Comment by Ginger0104 (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2013