Man steals money from Girl Scouts selling cookies

Police are looking for a thief who stole money from a group of Girl Scouts selling cookies outside of a local discount store. Investigators said the girls of Troop 2532 were in the parking lot of the Walmart located at 5469 S. Redwood Road when a man and woman drove by the stand they were operating.

The couple’s car later pulled up to the stand, stopped, and the man got out and approached the group of girls who were selling cookies.

“(He) acted as if he was going to buy some cookies, then saw the cash box, reached across the table, grabbed the cash box and took off running,” said Lieutenant Justin Hoyal with the Unified Police Department. The man jumped back into the car and the couple drove off onto Redwood Road, he said.

Michaela Boyette, one of the Girl Scouts who was standing nearby when the incident occurred, said the first thought that she and her friends had was "why?"

We were angry, kind of mad at him," she said, "but we can't really change that. It's gone."

Boyette said the money her troop raises from the cookie sells goes toward the cost of camp, but is also used for year-round service projects at the Humane Society, animal shelters and an annual activity where the girls make valentines for veterans.

"He's pretty much not stealing from us, just stealing from them," she said.

Hoyal said witnesses described the vehicle as an older model sedan driven by a woman with a thin build. The man was described as a white male in his 20’s, about 5-foot-9,  weighing approximately 150 pounds with a thin build, wearing a white T-shirt. He also had a sleeve of tattoos covering his left arm, Hoyal said.

“This was a very sad crime,” Hoyal said. “These young girls worked very hard to raise money for a great organization and for somebody to come up and steal that money is very sad.”

He said the crime took place despite the presence of adult leaders nearby, but the man still approached and “saw an opportunity” to grab the money and run. No one was hurt in the encounter.

Meanwhile, the troop and its leaders are committed to getting back to work.

"Our girls still have cookies to sell," said troop leader Jeanette Williams. "We just feel like it's one of those things where we need to get them back out there so they’re not afraid and that they know there’s so many people out there that want to support the girls and girl scouting."

Williams said the troop makes sure to change out their money frequently during the day to have as little cash on hand as possible. She said the girls have received an outpouring of support from the community since the incident, including many people who have asked how to donate funds.

She said she would be meeting with regional Girl Scout leaders to ask about receiving donations, but for the time being Taylorsville residents could expect to see the girls back in action selling cookies on Saturday, though not at the Walmart.

"Those girls, they work very hard for their money and they use their money for good causes," Williams said. "I can’t imagine why anyone would want to steal from them. It’s not easy for them to stand out there all day selling those cookies.

WTF is wrong with people?!!! If I ever came across this guy I would kicked him between the damn legs over and over again then call the police.  What are your thoughts?

I found info that the are selling again this saturday and I am going there to donate what I can. A ocal radio station here is donating $200. It's estamated he stole about $3000-$4000. A female was driving the car he got away in and I bet she is so proud of her "man" from stealing from a bunch of children.... Some people make me sick.

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• they're either scumbags or just so down on their luck that they had no other option but to still from girl scouts...either way its sad.

and having sold many a box of cookies myself back in the day, the money always went towards camping trips & GS projects...we never had to pay out of pocket for anything. dont blame the girl scouts for the corrupt ways of a few asshole leaders.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• And another thing...I don't blame the girls either, but I do blame the scum sucking adults who are supposed to look after them and be a role model for them, but instead just use them as a tool for promotional gain. It's twisted and low.
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 3:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• It was just someone's opinion, but it does seem fishy. I mean why would a troop leader put her girl scouts and that much danger in the middle of a parking lot at a Walmart? A walmart!
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 3:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Where on earth were the leaders and why on earth would they have that much money in the cash box? That is asking for trouble.
    No it is not the girl's fault. But I certainly hope the parents and leaders got a wake up call. Those girls could have been seriously hurt.

Why them? Because, they were easy targets. People like these two lowlifes only pick on he easy target.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• and radio stations reports the truth all the time.... Sorry I never heard that before either.
    LostSoul88

Comment by LostSoul88 (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• I overheard on a radio show this morning, how girl scouts use their troops to scheme money out of people
    Answer by uwmilf 21 minutes ago

^^^Well, now I've heard it all. I don't know what radio station is saying such things, but I can vouch for our girls' troop- that it's totally legitimate & follows the GS code. Too bad some people start false rumors. Maybe they have the Girl scouts confused with all the anti-gay blurbs of the Boy scouts.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• I overheard on a radio show this morning, how girl scouts use their troops to scheme money out of people. This whole "thief" incident was probably a set up to get people to more than compensate for their losses. Like Paulie said, why the hell would they be carrying around that much cash in the cash box? Why put young girls at risk like that? It's all a scam. Sorry to say it.
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 2:11 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• What a total scumbag! My dau is a Girl Scout & I can't imagine some jerkwad doing something like that to our girls. I'd be so livid. I am glad no one was hurt tho. That's one thing to be thankful for. The girls will learn a life lesson from this however. That while there are undeserving wastes of flesh in the world, there are more kind people in the world who are willing to right a wrong.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Sounds like my daughter's troop leader the one year she was in scouts. That pathetic woman wanted us to cover the difference in money loss "for the troop". Asses
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:58 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• What a disgusting slimeball to steal money from Girl Scouts! I hope karma bites him in the ass.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:53 PM on Mar. 18, 2013