German family granted asylum in US facing deportation

http://www.examiner.com/article/german-family-is-denied-asylum-to-homeschool-their-kids-by-homeland-security

I'm on my phone so no clicky.

Brief article on a German family who were granted asylum here in the US since 2010 because they faced persecution for homeschooling. It is illegal to homeschool in Germany. This family faces fines and losing their children if they return to Germany. Why won't this administration stand by this family?

HHx5

Asked by HHx5 at 1:50 PM on Mar. 18, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I did wonder if the German government is making such a stink about this that our government has to back down. If there are other families in Germany that want to home school and most likely there are, that wouldn't be good for international relations with Germany. Why didn't this family seek to immigrate legally (or illegally like so many others)? They broke the law in their country (albeit for good reason) and surely they would've seen where this was going long term. I think that the US should use their voice like we have in the past to stand for religious rights and parental rights.
    HHx5

Comment by HHx5 (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Hmm. What's the chances that this homeschooling family votes democrat? I know, they can't legally vote. (As if that stops anyone!) But the current admin won't get anything from them politically, so there is no "profit" in taking up their cause. Oh, and they aren't quite the right sort of person, you know. They are a little light, kwim?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Mar. 19, 2013

• As if I needed another reason to dislike AG Holder. His response to this family's plight, to paraphrase, was that because all homeschooling is banned regardless of religion, there is no discrimination. This is also according to the same article quoted above in my second comment. So, parents don't have rights to educate our children as we see fit? This administration's reaction to this family does not make me feel secure because if this administration felt strongly about freedom, this family would be allowed to stay. Their case is being appealed so, hopefully, it isn't too late.
    HHx5

Comment by HHx5 (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• "On January 26, 2010, Memphis federal immigration judge Lawrence Burman granted the Romeikes political asylum, ruling they had a reasonable fear of persecution for their beliefs if they returned to their homeland. Judge Burman also denounced the German policy heatedly. In a statement, he called it, “utterly repellent to everything we believe as Americans.”

I totally agree with the above statement from this article: http://c.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/high-tide-and-turn/2013/feb/12/deportation-german-homeschool-family-affects-us-ho/
    According to this article the practice of outlawing homeschooling started with Hitler in 1938.
    HHx5

Comment by HHx5 (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• My guess is because this administration doesn't believe in homeschooling either. They are partially owned by the unions and don't even support school choice.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:47 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Thanks for making the clicky :)

I feel it is hypocritical of our government to stick our nose in other situations yet abandon this family who are seeking a freedom that we believe in. I suppose it is because we have no financial interest in this situation. Yet our borders are flooded with illegal immigrants. Perhaps this family would have been better off to come illegally. If this family is already here, why deport them now?
    HHx5

Comment by HHx5 (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• So let me get this straight, a family actually comes here for very good reasons, is now getting kicked out and if they do they will lose their children yet we have a open door policy on the south boarder? Our country is fucked up.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2013