At 1 year do you make your child give up the bottle?

He already drinks juice and water from a cup, but still loves his bottle. What is the appropriate age to give up the bottle. I know that docs say to do it at a year, but when I was a kid, I had a bottle until 1 1/2 to 2 years.

NAT24ROXY24

Asked by NAT24ROXY24 at 11:39 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up in December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."

http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/15/4/2-a
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• yes at one i threww all bottles away with my last it took a little longer but she is fifteen months and hasnt had one in like two months
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:40 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• i took my sons at 15 months and my daughter gave hers up at 1 it depends on you when do you want to take it from him
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:41 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I think it depends on your kid. I have a couple of friends who have 1 1/2 year olds who still take a bottle with cow's milk. The reasoning is that they don't take enough milk from a sippy cup so their parent's would rather they get the nutrition and break the bottle later (when they're better at the sippy cup). If your baby will drink enough milk from a sippy cup then the sooner you break the bottle, the easier it will be. Mine is almost 10 mo. and I've been wondering how we're going to handle it myself. That and the pacifier...urgh...the pacifier. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:44 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My son is very independent. I wanted him to continue to be that way. He took himself off of feedings as he got older and decided all of that for himself. So when he was a year old and still had one bottom at night, I didn't take him away from it. I knew he would give it up when he was ready. I talked to his dentist and his doctor about it and they said it was okay as long as it was once a day and I was brushing his teeth. So after a few months, he gave it up. I personally think as long as they are off by 2, it's okay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My children where off the bottle by 9months old.

times3mom

Answer by times3mom at 12:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• lol, I didn't both of mine didn't care where it came from as long as they got a drink...

but to get rid of a thumb... there is the question...

I don't think there is any one set line of when to do it, just try phasing it out little by little. every momma and baby has individual needs so like the answer above, if he will only drink milk from a bottle then he needs a bottle a little longer.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 12:02 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• You have to decide what is best for your child. Yes, the guidelines say 1 year. But that's a GUIDELINE.
    If your child will go to sleep easily without that sucking motion, then ditch them.
    If your child adapts to change easily and will stop screaming for the bottle at bedtime quickly, then consider ditching them.
    If your child really needs that sucking motion to calm down, consider letting him keep them.
    If your child does not adapt to change well, consider letting him keep them.

The next 2 years are going to be filled with huge changes for him. Those changes cause tons of stress in toddlers and preschoolers. Try to remember that and pick-and-choose when and how to force those changes on him.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• i stop giving my daughter the bottle at 11 months!!!!! she shouldn't be on the bottle after 12, in my opinion.
    JNE90

Answer by JNE90 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2009