How much do you screen?

I screen any TV programs/movies before my DS watched it. I've been doing this since he was about a year old. For instance, we don't watch any adult TV shows in front of him and we are VERY careful what movies we watch in front of him when it comes to violence. If there is a dead body anywhere in the show/movie, it doesn't get watched in front of him. We also don't watch anything that contains violence of any kind toward another being, whether it's a "monster" versus a human or a human versus a human or a "monster" versus a "monster". We've been very strict about violence on the TV. That said, we are not as strict about sexual situations. If we're watching a movie with implied nudity, sometimes we've even watched something with a "butt shot" in it in front of my DS. It has recently been said to me that I need to be LESS concerned with the violence and MORE concerned with nudity and sex. At what point did you start screening your child's viewing habits and to what degree?

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 3:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2013 in General Parenting

• How old is your child?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:53 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Almost 4.
    jessflynn

Comment by jessflynn (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Never screened tv of any kind. Well maybe some XXX type nudity/sex. I believe kids need to see what is happening in the world. I didn' want my kids to become adult and freak out. Their is so many things, that parents do not let their kids see now days. Poor kids are going to freak out when they get older. Do you let your kids watch cartoons? Most cartoon have tons of violence in them.

Answer by louise2 at 4:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• When my DD is awake, I don't watch anything scary or violent. I will watch The Daily Show or Colbert, both of which seem to go completely over her head, so she doesn't know when a joke has a particularly nasty quality to it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• I've been careful about how much violence my daughter sees on TV, since it seems to alarm her a lot. That goes for monsters, police shows, even nature shows with lions and things. She's had nightmares before from a nature show. Till recently, she never paid much attention to sexual scenes, although we don't usually have movies with excessive nudity on anyway. Just lately she told me that kissing looked gross.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:14 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• I never really screened anything at that age, because I never really watched anything until after they went to bed. Back then, of course, we only had one TV. LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:22 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Less than I probably should but if it's too much I turn it off. My son generally doesn't pay attention to what's on TV but I have to watch the music we play in the car, because he listens to that! I hate that the radio allows the word "bitch".
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• I screen things, but he can see some violence. It is a part of life and I don't shield him from it. I won't let him watch anything too extreme or bloody, but he doesn't particularly care about it anyway.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• im usually in the room with them when they are watching TV so i dont watch things before hand, but if something were to get too violent or too adult i would turn it off. ive never had this problem tho. DH & i dont watch our shows when the kids are awake mainly cause our kids cant sit still or be quiet long enough for us to enjoy it. i dont give it much thought...they dont watch any "real" shows, just animated ones, so i can always say "its not real."

they are 4 and 1
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• I screen blood and guts violence - there is enough violence in every day life not to want to expose my children to it unnecessarily. Also, they tend to "self-screen". French TV has signs in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen that gives you guidance as to the suitability of their programmes. Estelle used to turn off all programmes that were not advisable for under 10 yos :). Now that she's 10 she's still a bit leery of them.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 7:08 AM on Mar. 19, 2013