Is it better to screen your child(ren)'s TV/movie watching or to just let them watch anything?

At our house, we screen everything for violence...even cartoons. At my sister's house, they don't screen anything. What do you do?

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 4:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Silly me, I put my trust in the ratings. Then I judge if they are mature enough to handle the content. It's kind of an uphill battle, when you have Victoria Secret & Viagra commercials on regular TV.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:29 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• I screen everything. And I stick with children's movies. My oldest is now 9 and is beginning to request movies for older kids, like the Harry Potter movies or Star Wars. I know that he could handle Harry Potter quite well, even the last movies. I don't think he's yet ready for superheroes movies, but I'm considering Star Wars. I have to watch it again first to see.
    I honestly think it depends on the child. I know my oldest is very aware it's a movie and it's not real, so he can handle certain things better than other children. I do know he's not ready to process other topics, more realistic violence, or sexual content, for example. My little one is more easily scared so I have to be more careful- funnily enough he snuck a peek at Voldemort'screbirth and didn't bat an eyelash, but the best in "Brave"... That scared him, lol. My little weirdo!
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Oh darn! Stupid iPhone! That was "Voldemort's rebirth" and "the bear in Brave".

OT, but... Oh, the irony, my iPhone corrects "Voldemort" if I misspell it, but when I typed "iPhobe"... "No replacements found". Thumbs up, Apple!
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• I screen stuff. I know better what he can and can't handle, than any rating does.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• i screen everything! we don't have cable so i don't have to worry about most of the shows. but the girls don't watch simpsons, family guy or any other cartoons like that. the worst thing they watch that everyone complains to me about is the csi's all of them, without a trace, law and order and afew other cop shows. but i'll tell you one thing, they refuse to go near strangers, if some one is talking to the, they stand right next to me. they refuse to go with anyone and they know that cops are suppose to be friends. i got yelled at (yes she really did yell at me!) because i was helping a stranger. my middle daughter said really loudly, (made quite a few people laugh including the stranger) that i should know better than to talk to a stranger!
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:14 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• we screen. My special needs son cannot handle all shows. We also screen them for Christian values,we watch PBS a lot.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 1:53 AM on Mar. 20, 2013

• I screen but basically anything. I watch it with her. She is only four. But she has been around regular tv and it has not phased her. She is in the room while my programs are on but can't shelter her for ever from the real world. I was never screened for shows. I am not violent and I know what I like and don't . As she grows I will see how it goes with her. The only thing I really despise is sponge bob. I have been introducing her too some old school cartoons and they are very different. It depends on the child.
    libramoon007

Answer by libramoon007 at 10:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2013