Is it better to screen your child(ren)'s TV/movie watching or to just let them watch anything?

At our house, we screen everything for violence...even cartoons. At my sister's house, they don't screen anything. What do you do?

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 4:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• screen it of coarse
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• I am rather in the happy medium bracket. I watch he trailers and I get who is making the film and some I just take the chance and sit with them and watch (disney falls a lot into this catagory) Others I watch the movie alone and then decide whether they can see it with me or by themselves or not at all.
    TV I watch and get the idea of the progam content. If I approve generally then I am not too worried.
    If I am unsure then not without my presence or not at all.
    SouthPark is one that is simply out of the running.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:26 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• This isn't really an issue for me yet. My 5 yo doesn't tolerate anything the least bit scary, so if the show she's watching on the Tivo exits, and what's on bothers her in ANY way, she's out of the room in no time. She still watches just little kid shows, plus Tanked, Too Cute and occasionally a cooking show. The scariest thing she EVER watches is Dragons: Riders of Berk, and she'll only watch that WITH me or her dad, and some episodes are just too intense for her. Before showing her any movie, we do watch it first, but sometimes even those are too intense for her (Lilo and Stitch—really, it was too intense for her.)
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:28 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• screen
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• We screen or at least research everything. We know what our kids re ready to handle and what we are willing to explain. If we let them watch anything, I can't imagine that would go well...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• There is no blanket answer for that - it depends on the emotional maturity of the child.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• My oldest is 11. In their playroom I've set their direct tv to "G" only. That means they can't even watch some things on popular channels as Nickelodeon and the Hub. Oh well! But, as a family we will watch movies such as the Avengers or X-Men or whatever we feel is appropriate. We screen these movies first before the kids are allowed to watch them.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• I feel there are aspects of most adult movies, such as sexual content and violence, that my dauhter isn't old enough to understand. When she reaches an age where she needs to know about the more frightening aspects of the world, we'll discuss them and probably see them on TV.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• I screen just about everything. If we start a show or movie and it becomes inappropriate, the channel gets changed.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• We don't screen out much, but we do watch it with our children to explain. Something overly graphic we don't let them watch, but they also don't have much interest in things that aren't for their age groups.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2013