How to keep ants away?

I haven't dealt with ants in years. It seems they only come out on hot days and well the weather ain't getting colder! I can't find a trail, so I don't know where they're coming from but on warm days I find a few of them venturing across my kitchen counters. I keep the kitchen clean and dry and don't even leave clean dishes in the drainer. That seems to help but not completely solve the problem.

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Ant traps.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:58 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• I use Torro and then also have put Borax around the window area. I get them too.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Sprinkle cinamon generously around the entry area. Ants dislike cinnamon and will not cross the barrier.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:47 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Send them on a trip w/ the uncles! lol :p I've heard that if you use crayon or sidewalk chalk around the boarder of your home it will keep ants away. Of course you need to reapply after it rains. But I'm guessing the kids would help with that. :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Interesting! Thanks ladies :)
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• I use a 50/50 mixture of Borax and sugar. I walk the entire perimerter of the house and sprinkle about a 3-4 inch border near the foundation. It has to be done after a rain, but it is simple and works. Do not inhale the mixture as you stir it!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2013