Spinoff...What was so great about Reagan?

In the question of which president do you admire most many answered reagan. I was wondering why. I will give that he had a great positive outlook and charisma, he was an actor after all. But what did he do that was so great? I don't buy that he single handedly ended the cold war, from what I know of history and econ the USSR was doomed to fail no matter what. St Ronny may have made some decisions that helped it along but it was really more of a being in the right place at the right time kind of thing. He completely ignored the beginning of the AIDS epidemic because it was a "gay disease". He had the highest number of convicted cabinet members, privatized and deregulated us. Brought us Iran/Contra, left us with defecits and a recession. Spent billions on his star wars that never worked. Nancy had "Just say no" with a coked out Drew Barrymore for spokesperson.

Friday

Asked by Friday at 11:44 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• He was super tall?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• LOL, maybe Shaq should be the next president.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 11:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My brother was adopted from Cambodia in 1982. His family was killed by the Khmer Rouge. Ronald Reagan is the figure head for the end of communism. My brother loves Reagan because he associates him and the first Bush with that. It means a lot, personally to him. That being said I have my own feelings about Reagan's policies back here in the US. Abroad, he was a tough SOB though.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:56 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• he cut taxes..oh wait he also had to raise them 3 times after he cut them..but i guess its the cuts that everyone remembers
    girl_in_the_D

Answer by girl_in_the_D at 11:57 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Yes he was tough.He would not stand for the BS.He got the iranian hostages back too.

Reagan was a true conservative

Also the rise in black employment was HUGE under Reagan

there are alot of things I liked about Reagan but I have a dental appointment I have to get to.Maybe I will come back later and list more.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:02 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• What did he do to get the Iran hostages back? They were released right after his inauguration so what could he have possible had time to do. Unless he was behind them being held for so long to help make Carter look bad and ensure his own victory.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• You say he was a true conservative but I thought cons were for smaller govt, less interference. The Reagans spearheaded the War on Drugs which is definitely NOT a coservative idea.

What did he do to improve black employment?

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• He was charismatic and people adored him. Besides he came after the trainwreck Jimmy Carter. I remember doing pretty well under his administration, I think I even got some of my money back in tax returns. Other than that I couldn't tell ya.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 12:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I've never heard that "black employment" statement before. In fact, generally Reagan is disliked in the black communities. And the "War on Drugs" was and is a total joke. I was one of the first classes to have D.A.R.E and I can tell you it didn't do a THING!! Although it did make parents scared that their kids were spying on them. Telling us kids to call the cops on our own folks if you notice anything.

"You alright! I learned it from watching you!"
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Land Of Confusion video. When Reagan is in bed and hits the nuke button instead of the nurse button. LMAO.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 12:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2009