Any ideas on what to do?

took my kids to the dr the other day. and was told my oldest is over weight for her age. she's 11 and is 5'1". we live in the middle of the city, there is no park really close or safe to play at right now. we have the wii and have been doing active 2. i don't buy junk food (chips, pop, candy, ect) we have fresh, frozen and can fruits and veggies. not sure what else to do. i make sure they have a full course meal.

any ideas of what else i can do?

i need ideas for the winter. during the summer we go over to the next city (daddy works there) and spend time walking the town and playing at the playground. i even pack us lunch.

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Go once a week to a local mall and just walk.
    Have her help you clean the house and dance while doing it. (You can seriously rock doing the dishes)
    look into after school sports programs or clubs. Check and see if you have a Boys and Girls Club nearby.

Make sure the majority of her plate is made up of fruits and veggies.
    Make sure snacks are not always loaded with sugar and fat
    Make it a lifestyle change for the family NOT just for her.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• YMCA?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:47 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• overweight for her age? Or for her size? I've never heard of overweight for age. How overweight is she considered to be?

Maybe yoga? Is there a YMCA nearby you could join? Then she could swim year round.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:47 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Could you get a mini trampoline?

When you say a full course meal, what do you mean? So, could you describe what she eats in a typical day?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• It sounds like you make sure she gets fruits and veggies. But is she drinking soda? Eating too many processed foods?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• 10 pounds? I'm not sure I'd worry too much about that. I've noticed a lot of kids, even as they enter the preteen years seem to appear overweight right before a growth spurt. I would continue with the healthy eating and exercising, but I wouldn't make a big deal of "you have to lose weight."
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Okay, If you feel she is fit and active then I would be seeking a second opinion. Tall and muscular does not equal overweight.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Seems like she's eating right, & getting quite a bit of exercise..... 10pds? Seems like the dr is a bit critical... I don't think it's much to worry about... but if you are concerned then maybe try Zumba for the xbox connect. Walk when poss. Have her drink plenty of water....Summer is coming, & a lot of people put on a little during the winter months. If it isn't a health issue, & she's happy, then I really wouldn't stress too much.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 8:08 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Fresh fruit and veggies are the best, frozen are second best, ditch the canned stuff. Breads and pasta are generally highly processed as well as pre-made sauces, salsa, and pretty much anything that is in the middle of the grocery store. Seriously, read the ingredients on whole wheat bread - most of them contact HFCs in addition to some other form of sugar. It's gross.

And portion control is really important. Make sure that EVERYONE is eating the correct portion sizes (that way she doesn't feel singled out and it's really good to see how much a portion is vs. what we are used to taking.) And try to walk around the block 2-4 together 2-4 times a week.

She also might be starting to gain weight to go into a grow, maybe even the big puberty grow. So who knows, it might have been an off time for her to have been weighed.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2013

• Is he worried it could be hormonal or thyroid related? Sounds like she is eating fine and getting plenty of exercise. I would see another doctor or Google a growth chart and enter her info yourself and see what it says. She is tall!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:56 AM on Mar. 19, 2013