New home..What will I need to look for to be sure my babys health is safe?

We are going to look at a forcloser home today. I have a 5month old baby. I was wondering what safety things I will have to look for to be sure hes safe n for his health?

kylie_2008

Asked by kylie_2008 at 11:44 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• see if the house has been tested for lead and if not have it tested
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:45 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• If there are stairs, make sure a safety gate can easily be installed. Some staircases I've seen don't have any place for a gate to be mounted.

If it is older than 1970, make sure it's been tested for lead.

What is the local school like? If your state grades schools, how does it rate?

What is the street like? Will he be able to ride his bike down the sidewalk without too much fear on your part?

Good luck!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• lead paint is a common thing that many people dont know is in their homes. Make sure the electrical wiring is all in good condition, check your circuit breaker for bad fuses/crossed wires/anything that looks wrong. Turn your water heater down to 120 to keep baby from getting burned, and then theres all the normal babyproofing stuff like covering the outlets, keeping wires out of reach, baby gates, etc\
    Oh.. and there's also a lot of value to having an exterminator come out. You don't want mice, spiders, bees, etc getting into the house!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I love houses with an open floor plan but now that I have one and a 10 mo. old, I wish there were more doors! It is much easier to keep them in sight when there is a door you can shut! Our stairs flare out at the bottom as well...so it is impossible to put a simple baby gate at the bottom so watch for that. Brick Hearth's around the fireplace are another hazard but are easy enough to child proof. If you're buying an older home (built in the 70's or earlier), have it tested for lead paint. Also, if there is a banister on the second floor...check how much space there is between slats. Our baby can easily fit through the slats. (Clearly I didn't have a baby when I bought this house. =)

ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2009