My newborn doesn't grasp my finger. The Internet says this could be a sign of a neurological defect. Has anyone else's baby lacked the grasp reflex but turned out to be problem free?

Mrswest25

Asked by Mrswest25 at 6:42 AM on Mar. 19, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does he grasp anything at all? Is he balling up his fist? Try stroking his palm with your finger to see if this helps. I wouldn't worry about it, just bring it up at your next doctors appointment.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:58 AM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Don't do this to yourself. Stay away from the internet!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:31 AM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Don't panic. Self diagnosis is never a good thing and don't believe everything you read. It's a general rule and doesn't apply to all. Wait until you talk with the doc
    Jessplus31979

Answer by Jessplus31979 at 8:00 AM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I find the internet to e pretty unreliable most of the time. If you are really concerned, take the baby to the doctor. It's not uncommon for babies to not grasp your finger.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:19 AM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Self-diagnosis on the Internet can lead you to believe that you or your baby may have a lot of scary maladies that usually don't turn out to be anything. Talk to your pediatrician next time you visit.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:43 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I diagnosed my then-3 year old with gigantism after a pediatrician checking his chart ON THE PHONE told me his growth pattern wasn't normal.

Went in to see the doc, with my husband. She took one look at HIM, and said, "Never mind!"

I married a big guy from a family of big guys! And my son is now about 6 feet tall at age 13.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:40 AM on Mar. 20, 2013