“Who’s The Real Victim?”…(Steubenville) adult content

Steubenville HS Football Players Convicted Of Raping 16-Year-Old Girl… MSNBC’s Ed Schultz Asks, “Who’s The Real Victim?”…

Are you f*cking kidding me? Note: One of the two rapists is black, so you know where this is headed.
(weaselzippers. net)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Mar. 19, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• So playing the race card huh? I am so sick of it. We all know the girl was the victim. It made me sick when the lawyers argued she was drunk and passed out and didn't say no so its consensual. That is like saying its okay for a man to drug a woman but since she is not saying no it's okay. I think they got off easy.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:15 AM on Mar. 19, 2013

•  

Saw this on FB yesterday.  It pisses me off that no matter the circumstances people still blame the victim.  Bunch of BS and it pisses me off. 

kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:17 AM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Uh, that should be a no brainer. Obviously the person that didn't give consent and was violently attacked anyhow.

It figures that Schultz would say something like that. I hear he's getting the 'coveted Saturday time slot' for PMSNBC. Silly me though that Saturday was a shitty time slot.  Isn't Maddow's twin getting Schultz's M-F time slot?  I thought I read that yesterday online.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:20 AM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Actually I find that all the kids in the towns are victims in that their parents and school didn't teach them to respect each other and theirselves. That getting drunk on a regular basis at their age was ok. That partying is more important than trying to better yourself. That it is ok to share all the info on media and then laugh and make fun of someone. They forget that the next time it could be them or a family member.

I wonder how many of the adults who are sticking up for the boys would still stick up for them if it was their teenage daughter spread all over the place. If these boys had seen pictures of their sister being treated as this girl was what they would do.

I think Stuebenville has a long way to go but they need to start teaching these kids right from wrong as it seems none of them were taught that.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:32 AM on Mar. 19, 2013

• ^^ Agreed, that parents need to be more active and guiding in their kid's lives, even when they get a little older.

That said, I know that I did many things I knew I wasn't supposed to do when I was a teenager.  Things my mother had told me not to do and I did them anyway.  Luckily for me things didn't turn out tragic like in this situation, but had they gone that way I would have to hold myself responsible for my own actions.  The girl got drunk and that's something she needs to own, but that didn't give license to two young guys to violate her.  They have to own those decisions themselves and I'm glad they will have some form of punishment for what they did.  This should be a lesson to other kids their age on where these kind of bad decisions can lead.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:54 AM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I just find it sad that all these teenagers KNEW what was going on and what happened and only a handful have said anything. The parents should be talking to their kids and if they knew/received anything then encourage them to step forward and try and right a terrible thing that has happened.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:14 AM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Oh ... so the "real victim" isn't the girl who had her body taken over and violated while she was unaware of it, and then saw the texts and pictures afterward and had to piece together the terrible assaults that had happened to her ... silly me, and I thought this time it was pretty easy to tell who got the raw end of the deal.

I saw a petition going around urging the national Federation of High Scool Associations to start training high school athletic coaches to talk to kids about preventing rape, and not just the usual warnings to young women about going out alone or how they dress, but letting young men know that it's their responsibility to respect women and be role models, and to be part of the solution against violence.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:25 AM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Ballard I read an article yesterday that parents need to teach their children NOT to rape. Seriously? Why does that need to be taught??
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Sure I lament that the boys threw their promising carreers away when the victimized a young girl.

It is sad when young people drink, do drus, race cars etc. and end up hurt addicted, convicted o dead and throw away their carreres, but that doe not make them the victims.

BTW ifyou are trying to refrence a news article, it would be nice if you added the source.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Lost, I wish respect for women, and for themselves, didn't have to be taught, but apparently some kids aren't getting it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2013