Do you consider MSNBC a 'News' Network?

Pew Study: MSNBC Isn't Really a "News" Network Anymore

I've long contended that those who lazily equate MSNBC and Fox News probably don't watch of either network, especially the latter. While Fox's opinion programming clearly slants to the right (albeit with no shortage of left-leaning guests), much of its news programming is robust, fair and balanced. Not so at MSNBC. According to a new nonpartisan analysis by the respected Pew Research Center, MSNBC barely boasts any news coverage at all:

True to its motto, MSNBC has been leaning forward. To the point that its opinionated programming far outweighs its “factual reporting,” according to a new Pew study. While Fox News, too, had more opinionated programming, the network had a much smaller discrepancy between opinion and straight reporting. The study — which came as part of Pew Research Center’s annual “State of the Media” report — states that opinionated programming comprised 85 percent of MSNBC’s airtime (versus 15 percent of “factual reporting”). Meanwhile, Fox News had opinion 55 percent of the time, with 45 percent straight news.

(TOWNHALL)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• IDK, I don't watch MSNBC. Or even NBC. I don't watch a lot of news except when I am at the gym and they have Fox and CNN. I usually switch between the two depending on the story at the time and it's interesting to see and hear the differences in reporting when they have the same breaking story on at the same time.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:59 AM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I think it doesn't really matter which station you watch. They all tend to lean toward one side or the other. I wish they'd just do honest, fair reporting and stop putting their own 2 cents in. Just the facts. Just the facts.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:09 AM on Mar. 19, 2013

• all 24 hour cable news outlets are garbage. they are all on the same "news" level, but Fox News is the most obnoxious. they focus on sensational stuff more than real news and just want $$$.

i dont have cable but when something important goes down i switch from ABC to NBC to CBS just to make sure they're all saying the same thing...i dont bother with Fox but that has more to do with it being a large number and having to channel thru the bajillion religious channels to get to it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:51 AM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I take most TV news with a grain of salt.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I like Fox News but of course I check them against other networks, Internet news sites, and talk radio. Do I watch MSNBC? Yes, when I want to laugh. Their evening commentators are so out of touch, it's funny. But I know the difference between news facts and news commentary. Most of MSNBC's contributors and reporters I really don't take seriously.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 19, 2013