Legal???

So I finally canceled my TMobile phone on the 28th of Feb. I was so sick of the shit service and the crap phone they kept putting of replacing (they were probably waiting till the yr warranty was over) Anyways I get a call last Friday from a store saying I qualify for a special promotion. I informed them I canceled their service. How they didn't know is beyond me. When I first got them I brought my number to them and when i change service I took my number with me. On Friday I asked what the balance was so i can pay the EFT and be done with them. They said I had NO balance. Sunday I get a call from a collections agency saying I am collections for my bill! I was pissed and said I will talk tot he store. I was planning on going today but just got another call from the collections agency.
Its been less then a month since I canceled and they sent me to collections already. How is this legal? The EFT isn't applied the minute you cancel. Any way I can fight this so it doesn't ruin my credit? I have never been late and paid my bill every month 2 weeks ahead of time and have all my bank statements to prove it. 

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2013 in Money & Work

• I think they can send you to collections pretty much immediately, if they want to be jerks about it. But then you can dispute it as an invalid debt because you weren't given the chance to pay it before they sent it to collections.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:59 AM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Yea, but you don't have to deal with the collections agency. DON"T deal with the collections agency... they might be not be on the up & up. Tell them flat out that you think they are a scam (even if you don't) and you will deal directly with the company you own the money to. If they push it DO NOT give them ANY info & start asking them questions about your account that they can't possible answer and say "see, you can't resolve this b/c you are not able to answer the questions I have about this bill - therefor you can't be working for TMobile." Once they see they can't get anything out of you b/c you don't think they are legit they should back off. Then ONLY deal with T Mobil!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2013