Open letter to Dr. Laura

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's law. I have learned a great deal from you, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to best follow them.

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. How should I deal with this?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as it suggests in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may buy slaves from the nations that are around us. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not Canadians. Can you clarify?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 10:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?
I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

***Just felt it needed a repost for a laugh or two, or to reflect on the hypocrisy***

KristiS11384

Asked by KristiS11384 at 12:28 PM on Mar. 19, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• "No, we don't live by the Levitical law anymore, but you're lauging at the Word of God. I wouldn't mess around with that."

so...Jews (Dr. Laura was a practicing Orthodox Jew when the letter was written) dont have to live by the Levitical law anymore but its still the word of God? i thought the word of God was never changing?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• laughing

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• That is awesome
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• ahhh that ones a classic! thanks for posting!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:37 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I don't appreciate this one bit. It's blasphemy... No, we don't live by the Levitical law anymore, but you're lauging at the Word of God. I wouldn't mess around with that.
    *************************
    lmfuckingao!!
    oooh, whats gonna happen, them words gonna jump off the page and strike me down?? Not gonna happen.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• WHOA someone misplaced their sense of humor! lmao!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Yeah, this has been around a while. It's totally filled with ignorance.
    First, sacrifices could only be performed at the Temple. We don't have a Temple at the monent, so sacrifices aren't performed nowadays.
    Second, no, you can't sell your daughter into slavery. You can arrange a dowry for her marriage like many cultures still do, though, which is what that verse really talks about
    Third, a man isn't allowed to touch ANY woman that's not his wife- period or not. So he doesn't have to know. He can't touch his wife while she's in her period, although that's a rabbinical decree. The halachic law is not to have sexual intercourse during menstruation.
    Fourth, no, you can't buy slaves from anywhere. Because it's illegal and the Torah commands us to observe the law of the land as long as it doesn't prevent us from performing a mitzvah.

Continued....
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:31 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Fifth, no, you can't kill your neighbor for working on the Shabath, for various reasons.
    - the law only applies to Jews. Non-Jews are perfectly free to work on Shabath
    - the death penalty can only be applied by a Sanhedrin, we need a Temple for that.
    - the death penalty isn't taking the execution into your own hands. Several conditions must be fulfilled. First, you must have witnessed the transgression with another person. Second, you should approach the transgressors to inform him/her that his action carried the death penalty. Third, you must witness the transgression again AFTER the warning and with another witness. Fourth, you must inform the Sanhedrin.
    Sixth, not all transgressions are created equal. Some are more serious than others. Some carry the death penalty, some don't. Some create karet, some don't. Those committed against a fellow human being can be stoned through forgiveness. Those against G-d are atoned in other
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:37 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• ways.
    Finally, in this day an age no one can approach the altar because, again, the altar is located inside the Temple. But yes, people with certain physical conditions couldn't approach it, just as those born in the tribes of Levi and Israel couldn't become priests and approach the altar. So unless the author of this is a Kohen, it doesn't apply to him.
    However, wearing glasses isn't one of those conditions. The blemish referred to in Scripture is cataracts, most likely. Really any condition that whitens the eyes. But simple bad eyesight doesn't do it.

So you see, there's no hypocrisy. Orthodox Jews continue to live by those parameters. Some practices and laws will have to wait until we rebuild the Temple, but those that are applicable to us, we follow.
    The problem with ignorant people is they don't bother to research and educate themselves. They read an isolated phrase out if context and think it proves their point.

Cont
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• But the Torah is the cliff notes version of the law. If you want to know how that law applies in the practical environment and day-to-day situations then you got a lot of studying to do: Talmud, Mishnah, Guemara and Shulchan Aruch. Without full study and understanding we get very ignorant arguments like this one.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2013