What kind of vocabulary skills did your 3 year old have?

My readings say they should be speaking 600-800 words in 4 word sentences.

But I have a chatterbox. She has complete sentences and is always telling long, elaborate stories.

She just said "Look Mommy, they can win a trip to Denmark on the Price is Right! It's worth 10,000 dollars!!"

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Depends on the kid. I don't ever pay attention to what "experts" say. Every kid is different. My nephews speak in sentences and know a ton of words and they are only two. My son didn't even start talking until he was 18 months, now he never stops. :)
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• mine had hardly any words at three
    she lost most functions at 18 months
    said her name CLEARLY before she could walk
    then waited until she was 3.5 to say it again (and started again, nit clear at all)

now at 5.5 + , she talks a bunch
    but talks differently
    she has autism
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Is your daughter closer to two or four? That would make a difference. My daughter's language skills really took off when she was about three and a half.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• She is a November baby. Both of mine were. The holidays are going to be ROUGH with two birthday's right before christmas!
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• The vocabulary mine had at 3 would have rivaled that of a 1st grader. People talk to her all the time and are shocked that she can speak the way that she does. She is now talking like a 3rd grader and it blows my mind, has started K early and is only 4 1/2.

I can say the most of the time she can still blow me away with the way that she speaks.
    Anonymous

• The 3 year-olds I know are all so different: ranging from those who speak almost like a random adult you'd chat at the store to the kids who are still struggling to get 25% of what they say understood while mostly using 3-4 word sentences. My 3 year old son is kind of in the middle - speaks clearly with decently complex grammar and vocabulary for a little kid, but he's clearly still a little kid who's learning to talk. I have no idea on the word count of his vocabulary... I stopped counting a long time ago.

I think those guides are the minimum we should expect before taking a closer look. And even if a kid isn't meeting those minimums that doesn't mean there is something terribly wrong. Little kids are just so different.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I have 5 kids - my oldest has autism so he wasn't talking at all at 3 but my now 2 yo talks in full sentences and all the time! At least in my household, the girls have talked way earlier, faster and much much more than my sons!

Answer by missanc at 1:53 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• My twins only started to speak their first words about 6 months or so before they turned 3. Their younger sister was speaking in full sentences well before she turned two. They're all in middle school now and their grades, are all similar. They're very good students.  Though my son needed a lot more support from school and home when he was younger learning to read.  Of course now he's a way better reader than his siblings.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I don't know. I'd see a lot of kids his age that seemed to talk better but was always told he talked well for his age so...

Funny, when my son was diagnosed with all this autism stuff, one of the areas they specifically said he does not have an issue with is language/communication and that he talks very well for his age. Yet they put him in speech classes anyway. Hmm. But that's a whole 'nother story.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• My 3 year olds were very articulate. (My twins are now 4.) My older child was really verbal as well, and earlier than my boys were. I remember saying something to her preschool teacher about her communication at age 2 (I'd heard her teacher talking to another parent about that child's language explosion) and the teacher said, "Oh, she's more than fine. She has synonyms!"
    The boys were the same--vocabs that were deep AND wide.
    They DID sound like little kids talking (but one of my sons has suddenly, in the last 3 weeks, cleaned up a lot of his diction issues & has stopped substituting the "f" sound for "sp," "sm" etc. So he'll say smoke instead of foke, and sparks instead of farks. Sprang instead of frang. (In Dec, his recitation of Twas the Night Before Christmas sounded like "I frang from my bed to see vat vas dee matter" and "Dee sump of a pipe he held tight in his teef, and dee foke, it ensookled his head like a reef" lol)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2013