Do you ever have people forget that you're more than someone's Mom?

I know that it's strange to ask and I definitely don't regret being a mom. But sometimes I wish people would remember that I do have interests outside of my son (and baby-on-the-way). Its like with some people EVERY conversation circles back to my role as a mom. Not that I don't like talking about my pregnancy and my son.
But come on! Every convo???

Don't you remember I like to read books? That I still watch TV? That I am a Science Major? Have a job? On that note, where did my single, childless friends go??

Ah, this turned into more of a rant. Sorry. I'm just hoping I'm not the only one that feels this way sometimes.

KimmyDaring

Asked by KimmyDaring at 1:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2013 in General Parenting

• It's normal. I had a nightmare once, about five months after my baby was born, that I died, and all it said on my tombstone was, "Sarah's mom."
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:17 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• The nice thing is I have made friends with other Mom's who have kids my kids age.....we have other things in common as well. They are really nice people and can let me vent and then we enjoy or mimosa. LOL
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:19 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Gosh, sometimes I forget that about myself.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Oh thank goodness, its not just me.

@Ballad: I've had the same dream before too! Weird coincidence. o.O
    KimmyDaring

Comment by KimmyDaring (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I don't have interests outside my kids anymore. That's probably unhealthy.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:38 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I'm always the one turning every conversation into something about my daughter, so I guess I more have the problem of people wishing I would remember I'm more than "just a mom" LOL
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• No. I have more of a problem with people FORGETTING I'm a mom.

THEM: "Why don't you want to come downtown to the show with us tonight? We'll probably won't be out past 1, we all have work in the morning too"

ME: "Hmm. Mostly because I have to go home, cook dinner, pack a lunch, give a bath, read a bedtime story, be up by 6 to make a breakfast, brush teeth, dress a child, and take him to school"

THEM: "Ohh. Yeah."

maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:04 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I've been a mom for so long, that I think I've forgotten what life was like pre-parenthood! That's sad in a way. The next time someone steers the conversation back to the kids, just do your darnedest to steer it back to something else. But don't forget to carry pics of the kids in the wallet or on your phone, or they will think you're a terrible mom! lol :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Def. feel that way sometimes... think we all do. I also feel like people forget that I'm more than just a maid around the house as well. grrrr.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 4:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2013