Please help which one is better???

I am a newly single mother, I just lost my home. I will be staying at families for 3 months until I can move with my child out of state. Till then my 13 year old son was going to stay at a friends and finish the school year. I don't know if leaving him for 3 months after all he's been through with his father gone and losing his home is a good idea. I could bring him with me but then I guess he would be home schooled for 3 months? I don't want to put him into another school for 3 months. Which is worse not living with his mom and dad for 3 months but still going to the same school and living in a stable home, or coming with me and either homeschooling or entering a new school for 3 months but he would be with me everyday. I can see him on weekends and talk to him. I'm just scared that this will effect him in some way. He said he's fine with it. So does anyone know if it will be a bad impact on him to see me only on weekends for 3 months, we have never been apart for more than a day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Mar. 19, 2013 in General Parenting

• IDK, personally I would feel better to have my children with me, even if that meant that they needed to go to a different school for a few months. Look at it this way, at least he will get to know some of the other kids at the new school before he has to start the next year, there won't be all of that new kid / school anxiety and he might just make some good friends to hang out with over the summer break.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• If you trust the family, I think it would be just fine. Finishing school where it is familiar should be helpful. Sounds hard on you, so sorry to hear it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:36 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• What does he want to do? Go with you or stay until the end of school? Is the family he is staying with a responsible family. Do you trust them to watch out for him & care for him? Is he safe there? Will he have too much freedom while staying there? These would be my questions. If you feel confident with the family then let him make the choice. He can change his mind later. It's not set in stone. GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:38 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I say don't leave him, put him in new school, he has lost so much already, and it shouldn't be up to a friend to take care of all the emotional stuff he is going through, is there a way for you to stay with him, any way? Where is child support etc? I would rent a by the week apartment until he was finished with school, then move.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 1:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I personally would not let my 13 yr old, or an age for that mater, live with friends for 3 months. There's nothing wrong with him having to go to a new school and make new friends.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• It would be much better for him to start school now in the new area so he can meet some kids before summer instead of spending the whole summer not knowing anyone.

Answer by missanc at 1:51 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Is there any rush for you to leave the state? Is it for a job opportunity? If not, could you stay longer where you were to provide the home stability and the educational stability during this rough time for your son? It'd be better in the long run if he could have both you and his school to finish the school year
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Do not leave him. You say his father is "gone", but did not elaborate. If there's ever an issue of custody, this can be held against you.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• He is 13. It will not bother him. To be away from you for 3 months. I sounds like it will bother you more.
    Get your life straight in those 3 months. So everything can get back to normal for your family.

Answer by louise2 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• If I take him and put him into the new school for 3 months that will NOT be the school he stays at it will only be for 3 months then I will be moving to another state and he will go to another new school again. His father doesnt have or want custody that's not a problem. So most of you think I should put him in a new school for 3 months and then move and start a new school again next year? I've known family since my son was in first grade. Please new answers.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2013