How do you feel about group Dr.'s appointments?

How open do you think you would be if your appointment was scheduled with several others that shared your malady? Is this what our medical future looks like?

http://www.everydayhealth.com/healthy-living/group-appointments-with-doctors-when-three-isnt-a-crowd.aspx

How would HIPPA laws apply to these situations?  If a patient opts for a group appointment does HIPPA law become void or does it only apply to office policy and procedures?  

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 2:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2013 in Health

• Just because I might suffer from hemorrhoids doesn't mean I want to see or hear about yours. I would never do this. I don't really like it when my doctor has an intern or some such crap sitting in my appointment with me for training purposes. I certainly am not going to put up with a bunch of strangers in my appointment. This feels too much like a "herding cattle" mentality. At this point, you are no longer viewed as a person in my opinion. Now you are just a symptom or a condition.

hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Pretty sure that would violate some patient privacy policy.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Few opinions about the article:

-I wouldn't want a 2hr appointment with the doctor, especially when most of it concerns other people's issues
    -They still have to do exams privately - right? Which would still take time out.
    -"You don't have to say anything"? How am I supposed to tell the doctor what's wrong or answer any questions?
    -There may be more insured people coming in through "Obamacare" but with copays and other costs rising as a result, I don't think millions more will be fighting for a doctors appointment.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• When my ex had his heart bypass, they had a group nutrition class that all the heart patients and families attended. That was fine, but anything more personal/sensitive would be uncomfortable to me.

Answer by missanc at 2:28 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I could see things like nutrition classes, or even a group thing like Ballad mentioned where they cover general basics with a group of new moms - there's nothing really personal in that. But when I have an appointment with my doctor, I want to see my doctor, and my doctor only (aside from nurses and such). I would not be willing to do a group appointment. Even if all the people share the same concern as me, my personal situation is mine alone. It might be slightly different than theirs, and even if it's not, I don't want strangers knowing about it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:36 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Well I can see if the patients agree to it - that's fine. But making this the new "thing"? Lol good luck to them!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• The only thing I've had that was sort of similar was a group thing before I left the hospital after my baby was born, telling a bunch of us not to lift anything heavier than our babies if we'd had C-sections, junk like that. Even that was a bit off-putting to me. But I can see where this might become more the norm with national healthcare, trying to keep costs down, plus the aging baby boomers and the shortage of physicians.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:24 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• YUCK!! I'm anxious enough!
    imamomzilla

Answer by imamomzilla at 5:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• But they are being done already. I'm just wondering because there is already a physician shortage and it's only going to get worse with our aging population. I don't really understand how they can do this besides having the patient opt in to a group appointment and waiving their privacy rights (as far as what is discussed publicly among the group). You can't force all of those other patients - strangers - to honor your privacy. How popular do you think group appointments are going to be? I am sure the nature of most appointments would require private appointments.

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Those things struck me as odd as well, mae. I certainly wouldn't want a two hour appointment and I would feel awkward listening to or hearing about someone else's medical issue, even if it were similar to my own. I don't like spending too much time at any appointment if it isn't absolutely necessary. I go in with a list a questions if I have any, prepared and expect to leave not long after I have been put in an exam room.
    QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2013