Do you lease a home? Why do you lease instead of own?

And do you like leasing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Because we are a military family and move every few years. No point in buying if we aren't staying
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• My ex and I rented a house for a while, and I rented a couple of different apartments after I got divorced. The only reason I bought my condo is that I wanted my money to be going for equity, especially now that I have a daughter, and I can save on my taxes as well.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• We recently moved to FL and still own a home in GA. We would lose a lot of money selling right now, so we are leasing it out instead.

And here, we've found a smaller, older place that doesn't cost a lot (needed some cushion if we have periods of no rental income). The landlord is very nice and has helped us out already with some repairs. We wanted a yard and have a lot of stuff, so a house meets our needs for now.

In a year or two, we'll see if we can sell the GA home and buy something down here.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:40 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I leased a townhome after separating from my ex. At the time, I didn't have enough money for a downpayment and I didn't want to have to do any maintenance (I didn't know how). Now that I'm remarried, I own because I like knowing my money is going towards equity.

Answer by missanc at 2:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I rented a house before I bought this one. I rented because I didn't know the area that well and wasn't sure I wanted to stay long term. Renting a house is no different than renting an apartment or condo.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2013