Do you find double recovery rooms for moms who just birthed & their babies unsanitary?

the group healthcare question made me think of this.

our general hospital here has a new maternity wing and all of the rooms are single only, but it still isnt enough space to accomodate everyone. when i had my oldest there, before the wing was built, after i had her we were taken to a double room with another mom that just gave birth and her newborn. same scenario when i had my second daughter there. i had my third at a regional hospital, and had my own very spacious private room.

i understand not having enough space... but a newborn baby is susceptible to so many infections. you don't know who your "neighbor" is bringing in and out to come visit their baby, and vice versa. and the rooms are set up as such that you have to pass the other person before you can get to the person in the back part of the room. so if you're near the door, then your neighbors visitors intrude on you everytime they walk in. not to mention, your baby and their baby are probably not on the same schedule so you have to deal with their baby waking yours up in the middle of the night, and vice versa.

i was so thankful to have my own room the third time around!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2013 in Health

• Unsanitary, I'm not sure. I mean, if you aren't touching each other or the babies, although I suppose if someone has a cold, there's the risk of infection. Still, hospitals in general are great places for picking up germs. But intrusive, yes. I was glad to have a private room when I had my baby.

Just the other day, a friend of mine who is in her eighties was talking about how it was when she gave birth, which would have been in the early fifties. She said there was another laboring woman in the same room with her when she had each of her daughters, and they could see and hear each other plainly. No curtains even. And there was a ward of beds for recovering moms, each with a bassinet beside it. I was very glad things were different for me.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:53 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• btw, there is nothing but a thin sheet that separates you from your neighbor.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• The hospital I had my son in gave private rooms to everyone who had their husband/SO/baby daddy spending the night. So since my husband was with us every second we had our own room. It was TINY though and my husband has to slide hit cot out of the way so the door could open lol. But the window came with an ocean view LOL!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 3:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• And I too wouldn't say as "unsanitary" as I would intrusive.
    maecntpntz219

• Absolutely GROSS! When I had my Son, I was first put into a room with another woman who delivered shortly before me. Besides the fact that she & her DH were total jerks, she left blood all over the floor of the bathroom & toilet. Her many visitors used the bathroom as well. They peed on the seat & floor. I told the Nurse & someone came to clean it later that night. Her husband stayed late & watched football really loud on the TV with all the lights on while she called everyone she knew to say how cone shaped her babies head was. Finally at 11pm, I passed out soooo tired. I woke at about 3am to use the toilet. She was gone. That morning I asked the Nurse what happened to her. She said, "Honey you snored her right out of this room"! We laughed. Then she was replaced by another girl who could not speak English. I felt so bad for her, because she could not communicate. She had about 15 visitors who also used the bathroom.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Then when I had my Daughter I got a room alone. Thank goodness I got to rest.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:07 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• On, BTW, The rooms at the Hospital I delivered in had three beds per room! How terrible is that?

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• home! Home is where I feel most comfortable - in my own bed. It's quiet and normal and no strangers to come check your vitals or rouse the baby every few hours!
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 3:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• We had shared labor and recovery rooms at our hospital up until 2001,when they opened a new hospital. The babies were delivered in an OR.
    My mom shared a room with 3 other women when I was born,but the babies were taken to the nursery. The mom was not allowed to have the baby in her room
    How sad is this??

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• The bathroom part- yes. Lots of fluids running around
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2013