What is your opinion? (Beauty and Young Girls)

I was talking to my SIL who told me that kids at her daughter's school are bullying her daughter because of something she said at lunch.

"I don't want to wear makeup. I think I'm pretty without it."

What?! I thought it was a great thing for her to say! (She's 14) I think it means my niece-in-law is a very confident young girl. Yet, that makes her a snob? Or are the people teasing her simply trying to knock her down a peg?

What do you think makes a girl beautiful? What makes a girl ugly?  

KimmyDaring

Asked by KimmyDaring at 3:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2013 in Beauty & Style

• I think personality makes someone pretty or ugly, I would imagine they are teasing her, because they took it as being kind of boastful/bragging, but I think it just shows her confidence. Perhaps there is truth to the fact she is pretty, and that makes 14 year old girls crazy!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 3:23 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Delivery is the key.

I think most girls that age should not be wearing makeup. They are all pretty enough the way they are.
    I think a lip gloss and maybe a little blush are the max at that age.

As I said delivery makes the difference in what you say in many cases.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• maybe they're jealous because they know its true?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:30 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Good for your niece! I wish more young girls felt that way about themselves. Hopefully the bullies will forget about the incident before long and get wrapped up in something else.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• As an adult I think it's a great thing to say. Unfortunately kids don't think the same way as adults a lot of the time.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 3:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Inner beauty is what makes anybody good looking. Our skin and bone structure will decay when we're dead anyways!
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 3:51 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I love her self confidence. I hope she sticks to her guns and does not give in to peer pressure.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 4:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• im glad she has that confidence, but im not surprised she got the reaction she did. girls/women can be very mean when threatened.

think of it this way...your sitting around with some friends and everyone is talking about the kind of make up they wear, what products they like, etc. and one person says "i dont wear make up, im pretty enough with out it." how is that going to sound? how would most women take that? i can see most women thinking "oh so you think i only wear make up b/c i dont think im pretty." or "you think you are prettier than the rest of us just cause we want to wear make up?!"
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:17 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Kudos to the 14 yo. She may want to work on tact and delivery though.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• at that age that could be harsh to say without it coming back to bite ya in the ass
    it was a good answer to say BUT again at 14 they are going to think she is high on herself big time/snobby
    teens are relentless

being nice is what makes ppl beautiful............ being the opposite of this, makes them ugly JMO!
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 11:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2013