Head lice

So if a kid gets lice and you do the whole cleaning and shampooing, is it gone and can they go to school the very next day? How does it work and are you more likely to get lice if your kid only showers once a week and doesn't brush their hair or has bad hygiene in general. **or If the bed sheets never get washed ? What if it comes back a few weeks later? It just seems like it would come from having a dirty house ???? I understand anyone can catch it from sharing brushes or hats But wouldn't a dirty house be more likely to get it and be the one who is passing it along??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• No. Lice like clean hair.

As for school rules, call and ask?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• lice is not a hygiene issue - it's a bug issue.
    Actually, cleaner hair attracts lice faster than nasty, dirty, oily hair.
    If your kid is a boy, just shave it off and the lice won't return.
    If you choose not to shave it, you need to be diligent for about 5 days checking his hair (and all other members of the house) to make sure more eggs don't hatch. Just because you do the shampoo doesn't mean you got them all.

Lice infestations SUCK!
    WASH EVERYTHING!!! Vacuum EVERYTHING! Sweep EVERYTHING!
    All nooks, all crankies, in the couch, under the couch, all blankets, pillows, boil all hair brushes (or toss and buy new)
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• My niece brought lice home from school. All 4 girls got it BAD. It took 2 weeks and exhausting diligence before they were finally free of the bugs. I came over at one point to help my BIL with laundry and combing through the girls' hair for nits. They shampooed then sat with olive oil and tea tree on their head for the rest of the evening before rinsing and going to bed (the oil and tea tree suffocates and kills the bugs plus the oil makes it difficult for the bugs to attach and hang on).
    It was nightmarish!
    My other sister's son brought home lice - she shaved his head, washed everything thoroughly and that was the end of that

As far as school rules, you have to check with the school. Usually it's a few days of being lice free before they can return
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 3:51 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Well, I wouldn't allow my child to take a shower only once a week, and PP's are correct being dirty or clean has nothing to do with it, but I would think letting a child not comb hair, not wash, and be dirty is a parenting issue, and if you don't clean everything, yes they will return!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 3:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Having lice is a bug problem that will be remedied with medicated shampoos and laundry done in hot water. Having bad hygiene is a parenting problem that can easily be solved.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:00 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• Olive oil! Works like a charm! That's after the medicated shampoo though. The olive oil help gets out all dead lice and the eggs.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I HATE these questions. Everytime that 4 letter bug is mentioned my head itches!
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2013

• I would also put tea tree oil in your shampoo. Lice hate something about it. Not sure what, but it keeps them away!
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 1:28 AM on Apr. 4, 2013